Shortages

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Gotta watch the pump, too. Sometimes they change that before the sign! ☹️. It's a day to day price. Some stations change with their fill, others with the news. :he

I'm about done with all of it!! I almost buy nothing except gas...my own revolt. :old

Then there's feed to buy. 😳

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Every time DH sees beef for under $4.00/lb he wants to buy it. I tell him it depends on what cut it is. Boneless chuck roasts and steaks have been $3.99/lb which isn't too bd. I have him get the chuck roasts wince I can get 3 meals for 5 adults out of it. We put them i the freezer. Haven't seen while pork legs for $.99/lb since we got the last one months ago. We are putting a lot in our freezers when we find a good price. Just got nice London broil for $3.79 last week and DS2 cooked it on his Traeger grill. Delicious!

We are keeping the 3 ram lambs born between April and May for our own freezers. They won't bring as much in August so might as well eat them ourselves. We will be sending a ewe lamb to the butcher as well. She keeps trying to have a rectal prolapse so don't want her to go to the auction. She is almost 6 months old.

murphysranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm thawing a 7 bone chuck roast from last year. They are my absolute favorite, for a slow on the BBQ cook. Delish and I can get several meals outa that hunk of meat.

Gas in Southern Washington (where I'm at this week at our new home/acreage) is $5.11 for cheap gas, debit or cash. More for credit. UGH. We still have two more trips to make from So Oregon to So WA to finish our move.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Heard today that the stock market dropped another 600+ points... I have very little in the stock market... mostly my retirement stuff and very conservative on most of it... but it is the "trending" that is the scary part as this is an indication of how things are going....
They say wheat will be twice what it is now, in the fall... and food is going to get scarce... Really is getting very concerning. If you are not growing a garden or buying at a farmers market to put in the freezer or to can, you may not be able to find things this fall..... or be able to afford them. I keep trying to buy a little extra as I go so that I have some more cushion.
It is nice to have a garden again this year after several years of not having one. Won't grow a huge variety but trying to grow plenty of what I am sure I will use. I am thinking I need to make a list of some of the things that I really want to have available... make sure that I have that stuff stockpiled because I do not see any prices coming down until there is a crash. And then it is going to hurt so many.
At least I will eat.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Feed store is killer!! Gas too!!

Garden going and I see it extending into fall. Canning, food saver bags, household ldry/clng, well stocked here. Flour, sugar, coffee, tea, yeast, spices, all good. I have eggs, milk, cheese covered at farm. Only minimal buys at grocery. Meats on sale. Basically.

Still considering -- do I need a pig? Should I feed out a goat kid? Should I buy these turkey poults I'm considering, or a lamb, or??? Maybe become vegetarian? 😁

Even looking at goat kid weaners...should I sell at this week auction, or keep and challenge feed prices a while longer. Seller auction prices were really good last month! Decisions!!:oops:

The unknown makes it tough. I just know it isn't gonna get better! 😔

murphysranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
I've been preparing for two years. Canning, dehydrating (alot!!), and Stocking up on all essentials. I think I'm going to be OK for a while.

Would I say I'm a prepper? nah....just a frugal person on SS. I did have SNAP (new name for old Food Stamps) but when I started my SS at 66.5 yrs old, my SNAP was taken away. Luckily I used alot of that SNAP for stocking up.