1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. 2019 What's up with my bucks hair? - Discussion thread.
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Should alfalfa hay be green?

Discussion in 'Feeding Time - Rabbits' started by FurryFiasco, May 7, 2018.

1. May 18, 2018
    FurryFiasco

FurryFiasco Chillin' with the herd

Wow, that's a really cool story. I'm glad you found the life you were looking for, it sounds very nice! :)

That makes sense about the hay, and it's convenient too! Thanks for clearing up my confusion. I'll have to try out the ACV, I didn't realize that they would actually like it. Thanks so much for all of the advice!

Pastor Dave likes this.
  2. May 18, 2018
    Pastor Dave

Pastor Dave True BYH Addict

Any time. Happy to share

FurryFiasco likes this.
  3. May 18, 2018
    Sundragons

Sundragons Loving the herd life

I feed pet / show rabbits Calf manna too at the same proportions. I had been pondering BOSS as a treat as well, are the rabbits OK eating them whole? Also, just a tsp like the calf manna or is there a different portion size I should look at? Again, not as a daily supplement, but just as an occasional treat.

4. May 18, 2018
    Pastor Dave

I use a tsp. daily. They love it. I give it whole. It is an estimated pinch that should be abt a tsp. When they eat the BOSS and Calf Mana out of their feeders, it encourages additional feeding of the alfalfa pellets. It gives a great coat. IMO

Sundragons likes this.
  5. May 18, 2018
    Pastor Dave

For occassional treats I give red clover, dandelion leaves, abd rose blooms when in season. The dandelion leaves are higher in certain vitamins and minerals than even spinach.

Sundragons likes this.
  6. May 18, 2018
    FurryFiasco

Maybe you could help me out with another question I had. I'm keeping my rabbits (Holland Lops) as pets, and I'll be breeding them a few times a year too, but I won't be showing them. Would the calf manna be helpful as a supplement for my bunnies? I read something about it helping with milk production; do you have an idea what would be a good routine (same as Pastor Dave's rabbits, a tsp. daily or a tbsp. for moms?) or would you suggest it at all? Thanks!

7. May 18, 2018
    Sundragons

Sundragons Loving the herd life

All of our rabbits get a tsp a day as part of their feed, from the day they're weaned. We see a noticeably better overall body condition and a glossier coat than without it, so we keep it up. One thing we do notice is that some rabbits will eat only the calf manna and not their pellets, so for those buns we'll feed it separately. Little twerps. It's like rabbit crack. Does who have babies get a tbsp a day, and we start that about a week before they're due to kindle so they have enough nutrition to get that milk in. Once they've weaned out their litter, back to a teaspoon.

Pastor Dave likes this.
  8. May 18, 2018
    FurryFiasco

Thanks for the information! That's just what I had wanted to know. I'll get a bag of Calf Manna next time I'm at the feed store. It's nice that it's both healthy and delicious, I'm sure my rabbits will love it!