Should I be giving my lamb baking soda??

Poka_Doodle

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would also say I agree with what Bay said, because I think we are on a very similar feeding program. I personally have never had it suggested to give baking soda. Most show feeds are relatively complete feeds too.
With the mentions of acidosis, I actually have dealt with that, but we caught it too late, and had to treat with a draxin schedule.

Show Sebright

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I would also say I agree with what Bay said, because I think we are on a very similar feeding program. I personally have never had it suggested to give baking soda. Most show feeds are relatively complete feeds too.
With the mentions of acidosis, I actually have dealt with that, but we caught it too late, and had to treat with a draxin schedule.
And what’s are the symptoms to that?

Poka_Doodle

Herd Master
Reaction score
And what’s are the symptoms to that?
Honestly, you'll know its something, when you see it. For us, it presented itself as lameness, that got progressively worse. Oral antibiotics helped but any attempt to take him completely off them was unsuccessful. Eventually a big abscess appeared, and eventually with an X-ray, we discovered there were two fractures in his leg. I might try and post his full story in my journal at some point.

Show Sebright

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Honestly, you'll know its something, when you see it. For us, it presented itself as lameness, that got progressively worse. Oral antibiotics helped but any attempt to take him completely off them was unsuccessful. Eventually a big abscess appeared, and eventually with an X-ray, we discovered there were two fractures in his leg. I might try and post his full story in my journal at some point.
Thanks. This helps a lot