Should I buy a cow?

NEWCOMER

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
What are your opinions on buying a cow? What should I get? How hard is it to raise em??!?

Longhornbreeder101

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
What are your opinions on buying a cow? What should I get? How hard is it to raise em??!?
Cows are not much work , but you also have to consider that you can have just one cow but , Cows are social animals and enjoy having company, preferably of the farm animal variety. In a herd, cows will groom one another, graze in an ever-moving group, and lay with one another when they rest. But other than that pretty easy to take care. But they are also expensive to feed.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Do you have a good stout fence? Do you have a chute to run the cow through for worming of shots? Or a way to load it to take it to slaughter if raising for beef? Got a trailer?

Longhornbreeder101

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Also you need certain sturdy fencing or your cow will get our they are very smart at finding ways to get out you don’t know how many cows escalate on a daily basis.

NEWCOMER

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Do you have a good stout fence? Do you have a chute to run the cow through for worming of shots? Or a way to load it to take it to slaughter if raising for beef? Got a trailer?
Yes. I have a trailer

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
On the amount of work a cow is it depends on the purpuse of the animal and how friendly you want them to be. I have a heifer calf who is a charlious which is a meat breed. However she a ton of work. I have worked with her to make her easy to handle (kinda still depends on her mood) and possible to use her for a plow or riding later, also possible milking her as well. She not full grown yet she coming to her 14 month of age now and will hopefully get bred at 15-18 months old. She a very sweet animal but can be the biggest butt head teenager around lol. She didn't want to come in to her pen one night and was pretending to ignore me and started rubbing all over some trees i went to one tree she was done with and poked it she got annoyed with me and mock charged me for it. Cows can be more work then their worth. Also during feeding they can act quite crazy so keep that in mind. Anytime we give her new hay she has to kill it. When it comes to grain its a pushing and head butting fest. Just please be careful about what animal you get if you do get a cow and think really hard about what you want it for. Make sure you research breeds that have the best personality for the purpuse you looking for. In this picture i am calling her and she ignoring me completely the brat.

Attachments

• 20210310_104421.jpg
    20210310_104421.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 118

NEWCOMER

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
What is the purpose? How much land do you have? There a lot to consider. Do you have access to hay? Tell us about your situation and we can help you out a little better.
I have 5 acres. Really, for a 1 cow, 2. I have acess to hay and alot of grass grows here in the summertime. I want a milk cow...maybe a Jersey?

Latest posts