Should I separate my Ram from the ewes

bonbean01

Herd Master
Reaction score
We learned the hard way our first lamb born here, that a gentle ram when those birthing hormones and smells happen, can go nutzoid....our ram stomped the newborn lamb and thankfully he survived...we always separate ram from ewes before lambing begins now.

That gentle ram by age 2 became a danger...we were stupid and naïve with our first ram lamb and played with him and loved on him and learned that lesson the hard way too...paying for xrays from injuries from him.

The learning curve can be brutal, but lessons learned the hard way are never forgotten!

Jyn

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
We have blackbellies and Ramsies has always been very good with the ewes letting them eat before him. He did get aggressive this morning and tried to ram my husband as he was moving our Clewepatra (great names huh) into the lambing pen. He seems really interested in whats going on and can nuzzle her through the pen slats but he has another ewe (Nephewetiti) with him, too. We only have one shelter at the moment which is the barn with a split field for our sheep. We culled the 2 wethers we had so there are only the 2 ewes and the ram left and our 2 American Guinae hogs are in there, also, with a shelter stall door alongside the sheep's.

So Im trying to figure out how we can divy up the pasture for everyone?

Latest posts