Should we or shouldn't we?

lupinfarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Some horses do, some don't. Smoothie loved the shelter, Pal wouldn't go in it if it was life or death! ... I'm putting one up ANYWAY but some horses don't trust them, just like some horses won't go in a stall :) and HAHA at your horse lying down on the cool gravel, that is very sweet.

2468herdsrgr8

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I know what you mean about some liking different things ...my guy is a gelding and the goof ...the mares just stand there and shake their heads ....but i now can get bug spray on all three where as last year the mares thought the bottle was going to kill them now after watching me spray Tiny my guy they stand nicely ....

Bronco Hollow

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Interesting as mine want to go in when the weather is real bad. My purpose was to have a dry clean spot for them to lay down and to feed them. Ours are free on several acres of mountain property - brush, manzanita etc. They would tear a blanket to shreds in no time. They don't get a blanket unless they are having trouble keeping warm, which has happened to one horse once and he was confined to a stall w/ a blanket. Otherwise ours are out like yours, less the blanket :)

Silly horses, don't they know we try to spoil them! heehee

lupinfarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Luna wears a waterproof shell at the least.. she hasn't need anything more, but she grows a huge enormous yak coat LOL

rebelshope

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I am glad that you realized that a young horse was not the right one for you. Horse are big. Horse can hurt you. These are two simple truths that you must never forget. Before owning any horse I really suggest that you take some riding lessons, one from a person that is willing to teach you horsemanship as well. Horsemanship is the art of caring for the horse. How to walk around a horse, yes there is a right and many wrong ways. How to lead a horse, groom, etc. Even a well trained horse can learn bad habits from an inexperienced person with no outside help.

Horse are not like dogs in that you go to a good pet store and buy a nice kibble. Feeding, grooming, and what to look for health wise is a bit more difficult. You really need to have mentor to help you. Even buying a horse is difficult for the inexperienced. My friend is a trainer and I could tell you horror stories of green horsemen who trusted a seller only to buy a horse that was drugged at the time of sale and is a nightmare once they get her home.

Cherry Hills has some great books and a great website to see what you are getting into if you do get a horse:
http://www.horsekeeping.com/

joletabey

Just born
Reaction score
Also, have at LEAST an acre of grass per horse, and you should still supplement that with feed and hay if the pasture is not good, or you can not maintain it. The costs can be heavy, especially in a drought year. Plus farrier bills, vet bills, fly spray, equipment, training, and shelter. Horses are OK in the cold if you can keep them out of freezing cold winds, etc. I would recommend an older, bomb proof horse that is used to kids- you might be able to lease one. Find someone experienced to work with you- horses are a great joy, but they are a HUGE responsibility!
Good luck!

RacehorsesRock

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I would not buy a two year old as your beginner, especially for a three year old. Buy something older, more experienced, and who is rated as a beginner.