Show Sheep Beginnings

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
For 6 years old I think she did VERY VERY GOOD. As @Ridgetop said, she did not lose control, Mocha did not buck or jump or do anything really dumb... except for the stalling during the costume class, she really did much better than I would have expected.
KUDOS to Cassandra, and to you, for helping her get this far already.

Margali

Herd Master
Reaction score
Another show next weekend. I did some digging and several counties near us have "hair sheep" vs Dorper as the category. The Arkansas State Fair even has a Katahdin breeding class!

All the rule books say sheep must be slick sheared to the hocks. Will doing that destroy a sheep's hair coat like on a dogs double coat? I'm okay with shearing for event if it will grow back correctly...

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think I’d call the KHSI and ask. I wouldn’t want to mess up an opportunity to show in a Katahdin class because of Mocha being shaved. I’d call them first, then call other show venues and tell them your findings. Then, do you stay true to your breed or follow non-Katahdin show rules?

Show Sebright

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Another show next weekend. I did some digging and several counties near us have "hair sheep" vs Dorper as the category. The Arkansas State Fair even has a Katahdin breeding class!

All the rule books say sheep must be slick sheared to the hocks. Will doing that destroy a sheep's hair coat like on a dogs double coat? I'm okay with shearing for event if it will grow back correctly...
I say listen to every about showing with hair. But the hair will grow back just fine. The middle school shaved them over the summer and they seem fine.

BrahmerQueen

Loving the herd life
Reaction score

It will grow back just fine but I've only seen katahdins show with all the hair on them still like @purplequeenvt said

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Don't shear if Mocha has shed out. You only need to shear if she is carrying wool.

Back in the day :old all sheep were shown in full wool. That fluffy wool can be "sculpted" on wool sheep to give a better appearance. I have done it on long coated breeds of dogs when showing. Take a little off here and there and a mediocre animal can look like a champion. A good judge can tell structure when they feel the animal, but that first look in the ring and as the animals parade around is what you go for. Most wooled breeds are shown shorn now, although I am not sure if some of the fine wooled breeds are still shown in the wool. It depends on the breed standard and the points given for each attribute in the breed. If points are allocated for wool then the sheep would be shown in wool.

Back to the Katahdins. Since your breed is a hair breed, and hopefully has shed all her wool you should not have to shear. Do the rules specify "shaved" or "shorn"? Dairy goats are shown shaved which means taking off the hair to give a sleek appearance (some Alpine breeds are pretty hairy). However, if the specification is for "shorn" then it means taking off the wool not the hair. Some dairy goat shows in cold winter areas will allow the goats to be shown "natural" due to the cold weather when they go back to the barn "naked". LOL

Check with the show but if Mocha has shed her wool and is only carrying hair, don't bother to shear her. Just bathe her and clip any stray hairs to give a clean and seek appearance. Trim and clean hooves. You can oil the hooves lightly to make them shine but too much oil will pick up shavings or sand so . . . . If you use "Show Sheen" coat spray, make sure not to leave the hair oily. Better to spray it o a rag and go over her body with the oily rag.

Margali

Herd Master
Reaction score
The first show we may enter is The Chisholm Trail National Breeding Sheep Show. Page 12 of the Premium book says ORB (Other Registered Breeds) are shown according to their breed standard. The show is in Taylor Texas January 19 - 21st.

@Baymule Do you think one of your grands would like to show? We could have a katahdin class of 2! :lol: @Ridgetop ChisholmTrail is mainly a Dorper organization.