Show us your Livestock Guardians

dasher

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
My girl is an 8 month old Anatolian Shepherd. She's been wonderful so far... sorry I don't have pics I just got a new computer and haven't moved everything over. But I did make a video of all the clips I filmed of her from 4 months old onto 7 months old which you which you can see here on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6B2YbPzRFcQ

Once she matures a little, I plan to get another Anatolian since I think she'll do better with a partner. What a wonderful breed though. She seems always happy, yet really serious about doing her job.

thebirdguy

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Here's my Porter...

4386_img_0467.jpg

littlelambx3

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Bella. She is a Collie but is a rare type. She's mostly all white as you can tell. She takes care of all our babies!

8762_img00039-20090916-1851.jpg

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Grazer I think both dogs are wonderful BUT I HAVE to say....Phoebe :drool :love :ep :thumbsup

I absolutely LOVE her structure. I don't even have the words... she is stunning....

I am not familiar with the standard for the breed but I really like the thick squared off rear yet it isn't blocky. She appears to have a very strong topline/back.
She looks like she has great knee structure and those shoulders... powerful I am sure.

I love her head and face.... She looks so well proportioned.

I could be way off because I don't know the standard... but IF the standard isn't her... it needs to change! :lol:

Oh I am a basketcase!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would love a pup from that girl!!!! I can picture me now... on the couch cuddled up.... don't tell D he might get replaced ;)

terrilhb

True BYH Addict
Reaction score

Grazer

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Thank you very much for your kind words Southern & terrilhb :D
I think the two of them are just stunning too, but then again I am so heavily biased lol

Southern, you have such keen eye for detail. When it comes to the way she looks, Phoebe is indeed closer to the standard than Atlas.
But Atlas is closer to the standard character-wise. I wish they both had tighter lips, and I wish Atlas had a bigger head and Phoebe longer legs.
Most importantly I wish Phoebe didn't have any health problems.
But they are both confident, stable, protective dogs. :)
It's surprising how agile these large dogs are, I'm going to PM you (or should I say spam you with :p ) some video's of the two of them in action

Oh and for your sake I hope D is not reading this topic behind your back :lol:

Moose23

Just born
Reaction score
Here is my pack of traditional(1) and non traditional (6) LGD's...

My Pyr Lola, picked her up from an auction last fall...kinda unplanned. We new we wanted an LGD as the plan was for goats to go along with our chickens and rabbits and also to help with the ridiculous coyote population we have here. She looked so scared at the auction I knew my wife was buying her no matter what so sure enough she was ours...we met with her previous owner who told us she was raised from birth with his sheep but was bottom of the totem pole in his rather large pack. He also mentioned she wasn't fixed but had just finished a heat so we would have time to take care of that if we didn't want to breed her....yeah right!! Two days after bringing her home she was in standing heat and my old boy got her. :rolleyes: Anyway she's been really great, defends the property from the yotes with a passion and have seen her take on a couple already. Also very good with the goats.

My beast Bulldozer, he's an 11 years young American Bulldog cross....he's the most incredible dog you could ever ask for. This dog has been my best friend for a lot of years, I've seen him defend his house and people from thieves, taking a chunk out of one in the process. I've seen him kill coyotes, not a pretty sight. But then I've seen him let a tiny kitten attack his face and climb all over him. He can clear a table with his tail or knock you over by leaning his 120lbs against you or manage to tip toe around a 3 year old or not so much as raise a paw around my grandmother. To top it off he is the best LGD I have, this dog has incredible patience with the goats and the chickens it still baffles me.

They made some awful good looking pups too....learning from mom and dad and spend lots of time around the goats and chickens.

Stubbornhillfarm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Grazer, I have always loved Pheobe s coloring in pictures that you have shared. And the super thick fur that your dogs have is amazing. A beautiful breed for sure. :D

Moose, :welcome and you have some very nice looking dogs and pups. And someone obviously has a great eye behind the camera!

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Nope... not a Pyr or an Anatolian....

This is Lucy... our beloved "BLAB" boxer /lab mutt. Best all-around farm dog.
Lucy watches over everything. Breaks up rooster squabbles, runs off our attacking Tom Turkey, you can tell her to put the goats "over there" and she will, tell her to drive out a roo and put him in a pen and she does. She ferrets out broody birds from the brambles that we can't get too. A possum is crunched in a second with her teeth...

She hates the LGD's... as our old GSd was dying Lucy thought she would now get to be top dog... then came the pyrs, and the toli.... poor girl.... back at the bottom of the pecking order. They all love her but she hates them... they are giant to her. The new GSD chews on her face... poor Lucy... she is like the Rodney Dangerfield of dogs around here... she "gets no respect". :lol:

Not big enough to take larger predators but she has the heart to do so. NEVER harmed one farm animal ever.

Lucy positioned to see the property...
6948_sam_4443.jpg