1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. BYH Featured Thread: Unstable sheep
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. 2017 BYC Calendar SUPER SALE!
    CLICK HERE!

Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
  5. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Sick 9 mo old Flemish giant

Discussion in 'Diseases & Injuries - Rabbits' started by AmandaG01, Apr 15, 2017.

1. Apr 15, 2017
    AmandaG01

AmandaG01 Just born

Help me with my sick bun. I have 4 Flemish giants all fixed and three girls, one boy. I acquired my younger two girls last October from a meat rabbit farm and they were 8 and 12 weeks old. They have gotten along perfectly, live in a large outdoor enclosure with a fully insulated rabbit shed. They are wild and don't really seek human attention. A few was ago, the younger two I noticed were fighting quite a bit. They were caught and found with a few superficial wounds in various stages of healing. Well, the fighting persisted so I took the instigator and placed her in a pen in the lg pen so they could still see each other. Well today I went in to feed her and it appeared she hadn't eaten and so I picked her up and she feels to be skin and bones under her very fluffy winter coat. I'm appalled I didn't catch this sooner but she is semi wild and runs if you approach her...I immediately thought worms and gave her a pea size dose of safeguard paste for horses...i will be seeking out vet attention asap but in the interim any interventions? TIA

2. Apr 16, 2017
    Marie28

Marie28 Ridin' The Range

Has see been drinking water? If it a water bottle make sure it is working properly rabbits won't eat if they can't drink. Also check her teeth, this can also cause rabbits to stop eating. Are your other rabbits acting okay?

3. Apr 16, 2017
    AmandaG01

AmandaG01 Just born

I haven't seen her drink but she's also skittish so she hides if I go into the pen... she did eat some banana and quick oats today however and ate some green leaf lettuce last night. She has a water bowl not bottle. Doesn't appear to be eating her grain... after the dose of safeguard yesterday,today it looks like her poop was loose and caked up around her rear end...