SICK AGAIN! My baby was vomiting, coccidia tx dosage needed...

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
And I'm not even sure if it is one or both, I raced up to the house to type this in.

I have the two little ones in a stall overnight, one is on a bottle and one is being gradually weaned from her mama.

The walls, bedding, water bucket, and babies are all covered in diarrhea. The younger, Plum, (12 weeks old today) wouldn't take her bottle, and her face was covered in poo. The older, Peach, (almost 14 weeks) didn't get up, but that is not completely unusually.

I won't have access to a car until 10:30. I can all my dh and have him pick something up at TSC on his way home. How do I determine what I need first? They both seemed to be fine yesterday.

I think Plum's bottle last night was a bit on the warm side. She wasn't as quick as she usually was. Can that have anything to do with it?

:hit

glenolam

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Is it diarreah or is it puke? When my little one was throwing up the walls, her face and her body were covered with this green stuff.

I gaver her a baking soda drench which seemed to help settle her - if it's not scours then maybe you could try the baking soda (or try that anyway as it doesn't hurt to try)?

I would think he should pick up scour halt when he goes to the store.

Does she have a temp?

Good luck and I'll keep thinking of ideas for you!

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I doubt the warm bottle had anything to do with it.

I would start immediatly on a regime for Coccidosis and support for diarreha, scour halt , probios and eletrolytles, etc. I havn't got my notes handy but a quick search here will find the rest of the treatment. If the eyes are white or light pink add in slow dose treatment for worms (safeguard and redcell for several days before hitting them with something hard). Depending on your situation a fecal would be a great idea if you can.

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
I didn't think of puking....I think she is puking, she must be. I just cleaned her up and it is her mouth and chin that are the crustiest and her bottom is perfectly clean, as are her inner thighs.

Her eyelids are pink. I will try to get a temp. I put the other doeling with her mother and she nursed vigorously, and has no green stuff on her face.

The stall looks like it needs to be hosed. I'm running back out to clean it and observe Plum. She will be very upset to be locked in alone. Should I put her with the herd or lock her up? I am weighing stress with isolation and rest.

I have to go get my dog who had surgery yesterday. That will take at least three hours. :barnie

glenolam

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Good luck with everyone (even the dog!)

If it was puke, it may be that she ate something poisonous (sound familiar to what you told me??). The baking soda drench worked wonders for my doeling - I didn't measure anything to be honest, just made something that easily squirted out the drench gun or syringe and gave her about 6 ml. I repeated that the next time she started throwing up and also gave her mineral oil (about 3 ml) just in case she couldn't pass what was messing her up. She was 8 wks old when I did the mineral oil.

I also hit her up with B complex, probios and kept pepto on hand (but didn't use the pepto) just in case.

I didn't separate her because I didn't think it was anything contageous and (maybe luckily) no one else got sick. If you wanted to separate her for just the day and see how she does, maybe that's the way to go.

Her puke really wasn't foul smelling, either, sort of sweet. Diarreah, IMO, would make ME puke.....

()relics

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
treat both kids for coccidiosis. The best is sulfadimethoxine 12.5% dosed at 1cc per 5# for 4 days in a row, if you can't get this specific drug most sulfa type drugs will also work. I would do nothing else. See if the kid reacts to the cocci treatment. If it is a run-in with coccidiosis you will see the effects of the drug almost right away. Make sure the kids have plenty of water, you could add an electrolyte to it just to lessen the effects of the dehydration they may suffer from. Red Cell is an option but I don't use it....probios is also useful after you finish your cocci treatment.....If its coccidiosis your sick goat will look markedly better soon after its first dose of medicine....If the sulfa drug does not clear the problem up then you will need to look elsewhere...I would keep the doe kids seperate until they regain some strength...JMO...

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
Yeeps.

I would treat it like a frothy bloat. Get about a tbsp of baking soda in her (drench this very carefully), about 3-6 cc of oil - veggie, canola...whatever you have on hand. Do you have C&D antitoxin? I'd give up to 10 cc of this orally. Then I'd add an antacid to coat stomachs, liquid, about 3 cc.

I also hit them with B Complex injected any time there's any sort of issue. 3 cc, you can't overdose this, up to 3 times a day to avoid polio.

Withhold feed of any kind for 24 hrs.

Shiloh Acres

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I hope they respond well. Seems like these things always happen in the WORST timing. :hugs

I'm not even going to try to offer treatment suggestions since you all know more about it than I do, but I just wondered if she's too distressed at being alone if you can put the other doeling back in with her? If she's not contagious, great! If she is, the other is likely already exposed? With going through various "stuff" with my goats, it seems like being separated is harder on them than the treatment or the sickness itself, and I wonder if they haven't recovered better because of being calmer, having their buddy with them?

I'm glad in my little herd that each one has at least two others they do well with, so I can mix them around.

I do hope you get it sorted out and your doelings are doing great again soon!

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Ok...with it covering her face and the walls, it sounds like she's definitely slinging her cud. Something's bad in her rumen, and she's getting it out.

Is it possible that she got into something poisonous yesterday? Is she running a fever at all?

Bear in mind that I've *never personally dealt with this* so I'm just kinda pondering..

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
OK, dh will be home with the car in about a half hour and I can go to TSC.

Here are the updated observations:

It is not scours. It is puke. The older doeling is absolutely normal and running and jumping around.

I put them out and the puker went immediately to curl up in the sun. I let her stay there while I cleaned up the stall. Then since she seemed to need the extra warmth, I locked up the two pygmies (one is the meanie who will bonk her without warning) and left the doelings out with their mothers, who only bonk gently when over-provoked. Plum is in no condition to provoke.

I saw her burp up a cud and chew it....twice!!! She hasn't vomited since....well, I don't really know since when. Some of it on the walls of the stall looked on the fresher side, some was drying.

She got up after 15-20 minutes and spent some time at the water tub. I started counting swallows and stopped at 25 (not all at once.) The cool water in her belly seemed to make her a bit uncomfortable, and she made some noises....ip-ip-ip-ip.....sort of the noise she makes when I hand feed her minerals in case she doesn't get a chance at the FOUR bins I fill for six goats.

Sooooo.....does this change recommendations? In my panic, my first thought this morning was scours-and-she's-gonna-die, but now it looks like maybe the crisis is waning....I'd hate to hit her with antibiotics and upset her baby rumen if it was simply a plant she ate. I will be inspecting my pasture.

Frothy bloat....her sides are thin with the almost empty rumen, and she has/had no signs of froth in/on her mouth, nor in the puke all over the stall. ???? Tell me more?