sick barbado ram lamb

gishpar

Just born
Reaction score
Hi: I have a barbado black belly orphan ram lamb. He keeps running a fever off and on. I hate to put him with my other sheep while he has a fever The vet gave me Lixotonic to put in his milk replacer. He is barely a month old. He seems to be healthy otherwise. I just do not know what to do about the off and on fever.

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sorry your lamb's not feeling well. How high is his temp? Does he have any other symptoms - low appetite, nasal or eye discharge, diarrhea, anything?

If it's Lixotinic, that's a vitamin/mineral supplement, and it's labeled not to give to ruminants, so I'm not sure why the vet gave it to you. Is it a vet who deals with sheep a lot? Did he know the little guy had a temperature? Do you have any other livestock vets around that you could get a second opinion?

edited to add: Lixotinic also has added copper, could he have given you Liquitinic or something else with a similar name?

Last edited:

gishpar

Just born
Reaction score
The lamb has no other symptoms at all. His temp was 103.1 but went up to 104,5 one evening after being out without his milk because he would not drink any after about 3 hours and was out until 6 which would have been about 7 hours without his milk and I do not think he would leave the herd to get water on his own.

gishpar

Just born
Reaction score
The Lixotonic seems to bring his fever down. It is now 100.4. He said to only give 1tsp. per day.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
It sounds like its bringing the temp down, but not "fixing the problem".

I'm not a sheep person, but did the vet listen to his lungs?

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would call the vet, tell him the lamb that he saw is still running a high temperature off an on, and what would he suggest?

gishpar

Just born
Reaction score
Yes, I called Friday but the temp started coming back down. So we agreed to wait until Monday and see what is what. Someone one of the sites I visited said that sometimes a lamb will run a fever if it gets too hot and February has been unusually warm here. I also had him inside in a cage and we keep it warmer in here because my husband gets colder than most people. He is outside today with the other sheep since his temp was normal. I went out and brought him in to see if he wanted any milk but he did not. He is
the time period to be weaned and he was eating grass and playing so maybe he will be okay. He is normal in every aspect so maybe he just got too accustomed to our warmer house. One of our neighbor frineds who takes care of all kinds of animals said he needs to be out as much as is possible. I will continue to watch him and I hope he will outgrow this but if not I will continue to try to get him cured.