sick calf

brittanykb

Just born
Reaction score
Hello, I'm new to owning a calf so I could use any help that anyone can give me. I got a calf that the owner said was about 3 months old and he said that she was sick but he didnt have time to give her the care she needed. Since I'm home everyday I said I'd try to get her better. Well she is very week and when I got her she'd been laying in manure and out in the rain and cold. I've had her for 2 days now and the first day she was here she ate and walked around but could still see that she is weak. This is the 2nd day and She only stands when I stand her myself and then she'll stand a while and then lay back over. It's like her legs give out on her. She has a very runny nose with clear/cloudy and sometimes a little greenish snot coming out. Can someone please give me any advice you have to help this sweet baby???

WildRoseBeef

Range nerd & bovine enthusiast
Reaction score
Almost sounds like pneumonia or shipping fever, though with the weak hind legs it could be something else. So some more questions for you to answer:

What is her temperature?
Is her poops normal, or does she have diarrhea?
Is she coughing or have laboured breathing?
Is she terribly thin or appears to be normal condition? (e.i., is her ribs and hip bones showing?)
Is she dehydrated? (To check, pinch the skin on her neck to see if it goes back immediately or is slow to go back. If the latter then she's dehydrated and definitely needs electrolytes in the form that Elevan had posted a link to)
Do you know how long she's been like this?
Is there any other symptoms besides what you gave us that she has?

To me it sounds like she's got severe pneumonia, because the snotty nose is the biggest indicator for me since, from my experience, when we had calves with snotty noses (but not weak or in the condition that your calf is in) they were close to getting shipping fever or pneumonia. If she's weak and going down and unable to get up something else may be up. At her age, medicine like Banamine or Baytril may be fine for her--I'm thinking that Nuflor or Draxxin may be too strong for her age (though it is highly effective).

I also highly recommend you get in contact with a large animal veterinarian right away to assess her condition and see if she does have pneumonia or something eise more serious.

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Go to a vet and get a shot of Draxxin. If she has pneumonia, it is the best drug for it. Then, give her the best quality hay you can find, and about 3 - 4 lbs of grain. DO NOT give her too much grain, as it will likely kill her. Also make sure she's getting all the lukewarm water she can drink. It may be helpful to mix a bit of molasses in the water to stimulate her to drink more. Good luck!

brittanykb

Just born
Reaction score
WildRoseBeef:
- I don't know her temp because i have to get a thermometer for her tomorrow
- her poo is normal, no diarrhea whatsoever
- her breathing seems normal and no coughing that i've heard
- you can see her hips but not her ribs
- her skin goes back its natural color a little slower than i believe it should but i got her pedialyte
- I do not know how long she's been like that all I know is for the past 3 days for sure
- I havent noticed anything else other than she perks up every now and then with moving her head a good bit but still hasnt tried moving on her own today

Thank you Elevan

Jhm47: what would you consider the best hay for her?

redtailgal

Reaction score
I'd recommend the Draxin, as well. If she gets very congested, I've had some luck treating with Banamine, as well (along with the antibiotic)

I'd also add some elctrolytes to her water for a couple days.

Keep her warm and dry, give her good sunshine if you can, and add a little molasses to her water (bout a tablespoon per gallon)

Personally, I would offer only hay for a couple days, then work her up to 3/4 pounds of grain slowly.

Cricket

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
x2. I'd also make sure to get her on her feet and moving at least a little on a regular basis. Good luck!

alsea1

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Its essential to get some meds into her. If you can get a vet out asap.
The other thing is with any animal in this much distress they need fluid therapy.

WildRoseBeef

Range nerd & bovine enthusiast
Reaction score
Definitely get electrolytes in her. Draxxin is good but expensive, IMO, I like going with Nuflor or Resflor. JMPO.

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I'd give her good, green alfalfa/grass mix for hay. It is important that this calf get the best nutrition possible at this time.

As to Draxxin --- yes, it is expensive, but it WORKS! Less expensive drugs cost less initially, but end up costing more when the calf dies or becomes a chronic lunger. Our vet will sell small amounts as needed. It really doesn't take much to treat a 200 - 300 lb animal. One dose also lasts several days, so the cost isn't as bad as some would lead you to believe.