Sick Calf

ladybug4ut1

Just born
Reaction score
I have been raising this calf from birth. She has been doing well until last week. She had diarehea(SP) and is real week...she has been receiving antiboitic shots every other day per vet. today she can barely get up. I am going to Walmart and buy her calf manna and see if that helps. anybody have any other ideas.....i brought her up to the house so i can watch her. I will call the vet in the morning. any ideas will help

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
See if you can get Deliver. It will help thicken the scours.

Also what antibiotic are you giving? I would use penicillan. 10ccs for a 100-115# calf adjust according to her size. Give once per day.

Is her enviroment dry? Or are you battling the wet from the huricanes? A wet enviroment will cause the scours. Keep her warm and dry.

How much fluid are you getting into her a day? Depending on her age she needs at least 4 quarts a day. More as they get older. If she won't drink much into two feedings feed her frequently throughout the day. Dehydration is a huge problem with the scours. Also are you using milk replacer or milk? Make sure you keep giving her some. She needs the nutrients in it to fight this.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I would also use a probiotic. This helps the good bugs in their stomachs. I use Probios-it comes in many forms and you can get the one that is easiest for you to use. Plain yogurt is good too-get the kind with the active stuff in it.

Vitamins and electrolytes wouldn't hurt either.

Also, if you can find some ACV (Apple Cider Vinager) with the mother in it. Wal-mart does not sell it. Usually found in health food section of large grocery stores or in health food stores. Give one Tablespoon per gallon of water. This helps keep the bad bugs from growing.

I know all this sounds like a lot but, if she is getting week you need to through everything you can at her. If she was just starting with scours you could try some of it but, as is, I would try it all. You need to support and treat her rapidly.

If you follow my Misc info link you will find info there too. But, I think I have outlined pretty good what you need at this point.

ladybug4ut1

Just born
Reaction score
Hi,

thanks for the responses. I lost her on Thursday morning. :hit NOt sure what was wrong. Vet thinks it was an bacterial infection. I finally got logged back on.

:clap

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Yellowrosebouquet.jpg

I'm sorry you lost her. Glad to see you were able to get logged back on.

Latest posts