Sick doe..vet and I stumped

Tapsmom

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
The mineral panel just came back last week. Her Famacha looks good. I just came back in and took her temp. It is 101.0. I am dropping another fecal off tomorrow and am trying to get another visit in. She is hunched and uncomfortable, but seems to want to eat..just can't find what she wants. The vet did not test for Johne's so, although that stresses me out, I am going to ask her if she thinks that is a possibility. We have had this does since she was 4 weeks old. We also have a closed herd. She is one of our original 4. We have treated her with Prohibit and levamosile. We are trying to cover the possibility of Lungworm and Liver Fluke since neither of those show up well on fecals.
I am also going to pick up some Chaffehay tomorrow to try that as well. She has seemed to like the straight alfalfa and the first cut hay. And-thanks to my daughter-thinks she can come in the house anytime she wants, now..

Tapsmom

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
20181119_090258.jpg

Tapsmom

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
This was our girl this morning. I have also noticed a chipped tooth and very bad breath.

Tapsmom

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We had a woman out tonight who does acupressure and massage. And she made a huge difference in her stance, demeanor and appetite. She LOVED the Chaffhay. I just hope it continues. We have an appointment with our vet again in the morning. She is going to take a look and make sure there is nothing else going on with her teeth as well. And we are going to brainstorm an see what other options she suggests/ I have also taken quite a few ticks off of her as well,

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Be very careful with the chaffhaye.
We lost 2 bucks and nearly lost two does to a bad lot. We shared the lot with another farm. All their animals got sick, not as bad as ours, but still sick. The two does did recover however the one has permanent damage to her viili. The goats loved it, I loved it but not worth the risk. Many vets are hesitant about feeding haylage of any kind to goats. It was fresh and stored properly no signs of anything wrong, no smell... nothing.

Do you think she has had an injury? Possible disc issue or something? The hunched appearance is really odd. The fact her bloodwork came up fine is also interesting and no fever.

I hope you keep updating this thread this is very interesting and quite perplexing. I am sorry for your girl and you. So trying. I hope you get some results soon. :hugs

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
A friend of mine had a goat die, not from hardware but because the goat ate string and ended up getting impacted.
I saw a bit of blue hay string hanging out a cow's mouth one day and I pulled it out thinking it may have been hung up in her teeth. It was about 6 ft long when I got it all out......she almost had it all swallowed. It didnt smell good atall.