Sick doe..vet and I stumped

Tapsmom

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hmm not urine. I can ask when I pick her up. The vet just called. Her teeth are fine and she also did an Xray of her skull since she has a constant nose discharge (albeit clear). She suggested hitting her with Nuflor today and tomorrow and her final dose of Valbezin. In case there is an infection deep in that she can't find. She said the only additional option at this point is exploratory surgery or the Ultrasound at Tufts-but I am afraid that may be out of the financial picture.
However, she looks WAY better this morning after last night's visit from the acupressurist. Hardly hunched at all, much more alert and hungry. (Quite mad that she couldn't eat this morning)

sfgwife

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
We had a woman out tonight who does acupressure and massage. And she made a huge difference in her stance, demeanor and appetite. She LOVED the Chaffhay. I just hope it continues. We have an appointment with our vet again in the morning. She is going to take a look and make sure there is nothing else going on with her teeth as well. And we are going to brainstorm an see what other options she suggests/ I have also taken quite a few ticks off of her as well,

I am glad i kept readin! I was gonna ask if her teeth had been checked really good and floated. Thinkin that maybe she had somethin goin on withher mouth to make her not be eatin. Ticks..... isnt it menengal worm they can get from ticks?

Tapsmom

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I just got back after being away on business all last week. She is not eating as well.again..and is hunched again. I am at my wits (and wallets) end. She will happily eat fruits..but I don't know if just feeding her produce is the best option. She seems to hunch up after eating..

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
If she is at a stage of failure to thrive you may want to consider putting her down and having the state vet do a necropsy.
:(
As discouraging as that sounds, it may be time. 1st reported here at BYH on Nov 15 and 19 days later it seems to be getting worse as the hunching up definitely indicates pain and discomfort. I would sure discuss with the vet about continuing to try only as long as there seems to be a positive outlook in the very near future, but it is your call.

Tapsmom

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thanks. I am putting another call in to the vet in the morning to see what she thinks. The vet did not think it was terminal..and there is definitely improvement. She has gained weight and is still in much better shape then she was on Nov 15th. My children are telling me I am overreacting and I spoke to our boarder and her daughter and she commented that she comes running when she hears her plastic bag filled with fresh produce. But, should she get to the point where there is no hope..I will make that choice. She is going to the bathroom fine and both her urine and pellets are normal. We are keeping her blanketed under 30 degrees and a heat lamp is near her when it is near the teens. I will keep everyone posted and unfortunately I do realize that may be my end solution. I am just not quite ready to give up and I don't think she is either.

Tapsmom

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Ok I am trying to upload a picture of our troublemaker..but I cannot figure it out lol. We had the acupressure and naturopath here yesterday for her. She said she looks way better than when she first saw her. And I spoke to the vet yesterday and we resumed Probios and Vitamin B shots. She has been eating. I just get so paranoid with her. I am guessing my kids are right in that I am overreacting. I just wish we knew what was going on with her.

Tapsmom

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
20181208_094605.jpg

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
She might be cold, causing some of the hunching. I do agree that something else is going on though. She doesn’t look to have much coat. Was she clipped this fall?

Tapsmom

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Yes she was clipped for the Big E. The show was the last weekend in Sept. The rest of the goats that went have grown most of their winter coats.