Sick Doeling

SaraMerida

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Can I do anything to help her rumen go again or is it too late?

Green Acres Farm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I personally would try to drench baking soda while waiting for the vet. If you can, call the vet and ask what he wants you to do.
:hugs

lcertuche

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Such a helpless feeling when something is sick. I hope everything turns out well.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry, I'm in the midst of heavy rain squalls w/wind and my satellite internet keeps dropping out... :( Once more I'm waiting on my internet to re-connect.

I don't know if it is bloat & I have no experience with bloat... I wish I did so I could offer guidance to you. Search the site for goat and bloat and hopefully numerous threads will pop up where you can start.

Hopefully the vet will get there soon and hopefully it's a livestock vet and more specifically, goat knowledgeable. If he/she is a vet that knows goats, consider yourself the equal of a lottery winner.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
To my way of thinking, bloat isn't normally an issue in a one month old kid. Normally a one month old kid is only just starting to nibble hay/grass/etc. They are still pretty much on mom's milk... Did you SEE her eating the chicken food? Cocci is a kid killer and can do so in a matter of 12-24 hours. Kids can also sometimes breath in milk while drinking and get pneumonia, another thing that can kill a kid very quickly... I'm sorry I can't be of more help.

and AGAIN I've lost internet! I'm sorry but weather prevents me from offering anything more.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have been through this with a doe.

You need to neutralize the acid that was caused by the grain in the chicken feed. She needs baking soda mixed with water and a lot of it. 1/2 cup mixed with 2-4 qts of water. or Milk of Magnesia or a large bottle of Pepto Mismol. This is for an adult goat so reduce the quantity of the drench. Diarrhea is good at this point, you want to move that out of her. My vet would have you give Pen G., probiotics, and banamine as well.

The CD Antitoxin is to stop Enterotoxemia. This is not the one normally used for the vaccine, it is used to stop the entero once it has started. It also not something most goat people have on hand, maybe your vet will.

https://www.jefferspet.com/products/cl-perfringens-c-d-antitoxin

I really hope she makes it, I am so sorry to hear that she is having seizures. Don't beat yourself up, you aren't the first goat owner to have a problem with chicken feed. Goats can be a steep learning curve. :hugs

Last edited: