Sick Doeling

SaraMerida

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
She passed away about an hour ago. The vet finally came minutes before she passed. When he looked her over he said that she was bitten on her leg by something. We are putting chicken fence around the goat corral to make sure the other little one doesn't get out and will be chhanging how we feed them in case that had something to do with it. I was balling like a baby. I've been as advanced practice nurse for years and before that a registered nurse so death is not new to me, but I was surprised at how responsible I felt with her. I appreciate all of your responses and advice and I will be adding baking soda water to the other girls feed routine. I have seen them all eat the chicken food before. I'm hoping the vet was right and it was a sting/bite and my other girls don't get the same thing. My vet was completely useless and I wish there were more vets around here that handled goats. Lessons learned the hard way. Thanks again everyone who helped!

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Sincere condolences... It's never easy to lose an animal. If she was bitten by something, I hope the same thing doesn't happen to the others.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am so sorry you lost her. :hugs

A useless vet just means that you need to learn all you can about goats. This forum is a great place to learn and ask questions and if you know advanced nursing you are leaps ahead of many of us. The biggest thing to remember about goats is that they are herd animals so anytime they separate themselves from the herd there is a problem. I tell people. "know you goat", any change in behavior is something to watch for. They go downhill quickly so the sooner you catch it the better.

You need to get them all a CDT vaccine for starters. Get a microscope and learn to do your own fecals to check for parasites, and maybe look for another vet as there are times that you need them.

Get you goat kit together and keep Pepto Bismol or Magnalax on hand. Also PenG and oxcytetracycline and some syringes. Some probiotics would be good too. Can you get this stuff in Mexico or mail order?

Hope you stick around and become a regular part of BYH, this is a great resource.

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm so sorry you lost her :( If she was bit by something there may not have been anything you could have done. Like babsbag says, the more you learn, the better - even if you find a good goat vet.

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
:hugs:hugs:hugs
Hope the others stay healthy:fl.

Latest posts