Sick goat, and how I’m treating him

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Okay. Easy enough 😂. Now to get them to cooperate. It’s directly to the state lab if that makes a difference. A assume I just sticker and label the baggies? Do I need ice or anything in the box?
Call them and ask.

Not sure.... I never shipped poo for worm testing.

messybun

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Call them and ask.

Not sure.... I never shipped poo for worm testing.
The lovely things we do for our animals.
I’ve never had mine sick like this, So I’m still figuring out how to proceed. Thank you so much for the help.

messybun

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Okay, found the lab and called them.
2 tbs per sample and ice packs for overnight shipping. I think I’ll test the worst one and one other to see what we’ve got going on overall. Lady on the phone was super helpful and put me on the top of the stack, so should get those results quickly.
I never knew that the state lab was accessible for owners, a door of opportunity. I wish I’d have known when we lost other animals, I would have loved to have known what happened.

messybun

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Okay. The femacha scores are still really bad for my goats. One is worse actually. I’ll try to get pictures later today and see if someone on here can check what I’m seeing. I picked up fenbendazole at the feedstore yesterday, I need to double check safety and all, but I was thinking at combining that with the ivermectin to kick these nasties.
They’ve also been getting free feed minerals, pumpkin seeds, and sunflower seeds. The pumpkin seeds are supposed to paralyze worms and the sunflower seeds are supposed to have iron and be fattening. I don’t want to overdose on iron, but seeds shouldn’t have enough to hurt and they need it! Corn is available as well. Fresh veggie scraps and free hay. Not to mention little goodies. Is there anything I’m missing or could do?

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Garlic also helps with lessening worm load.

Spray their area with strong bleach water. Actually a bleach/water spray on shorter grass pastures has shown to help with worm load, killing some larvae before injesting. You let it rest a couple days before grazing again.

I used to have a State lab just 20 minutes away but, sadly it was closed. Not sure how close another is. But they will perform a lot of testing at very reasonable cost -- including necropsy. Check that out for future. Also, vets DO send samples there for testing.

Wishing you much luck with you herds recovery. :hugs

messybun

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Garlic also helps with lessening worm load.

Spray their area with strong bleach water. Actually a bleach/water spray on shorter grass pastures has shown to help with worm load, killing some larvae before injesting. You let it rest a couple days before grazing again.

I used to have a State lab just 20 minutes away but, sadly it was closed. Not sure how close another is. But they will perform a lot of testing at very reasonable cost -- including necropsy. Check that out for future. Also, vets DO send samples there for testing.

Wishing you much luck with you herds recovery. :hugs

The bleach won’t kill the grass? I’m glad to know that! I actually bleached and scrubbed their shelter just because, apparently that was the right thing to do.
I know a vet would send for testing, but I don’t have a vet. Makes it a bit more difficult at times like this. But you learn to swim one way or another, hopefully.

Can I use garlic with ivermectin and possibly fenbendazole? I don’t want to overdue and hurt more than I’m helping.

Speaking of, have you ever used fenbendazole with ivermectin? What I’ve been reading online is kind of conflicting. I don’t want to create super worms, but I might already be dealing with them. The ivermectin sure doesn’t seem to be working as well as I expected. Is it possible my goats have medicine resistant worms, seeing as I haven’t chemically wormed them for as long as I’ve had them (at least 6 years)?

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ivermectin doesn't kill everything. And yes, there are some areas of the country where parasites are developing resistance to Ivermectin.

That is one reason why it is important to know what worms you are dealing with.

Different worms respond to different drugs.

And different parasites have different life cycles. It is easier to control parasites if you know which parasite you are dealing with.

For anemic goats... I would get Red Cell at the feed store (I think it is usually marketed for pigs) and give all pale goats a dose.

And... on Monday get someone to do a fecal, so you know what parasites you are dealing with.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Agree best to know what worms. Also be aware that heavy worm kill offs will make the animal somewhat "droopy" from the toxins of dead worms. So you won't see a next day rejuvenation like aspirin for a headache with a goodnight sleep. Couple days or so. In a week or two you'll see better, smoother hair coats and weight gain, more activity.

Red cell is also avail in the horse area. 😊

You use like a half cup bleach per gal on grass. Garlic just put on their grain maybe twice a month.

messybun

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Agree best to know what worms. Also be aware that heavy worm kill offs will make the animal somewhat "droopy" from the toxins of dead worms. So you won't see a next day rejuvenation like aspirin for a headache with a goodnight sleep. Couple days or so. In a week or two you'll see better, smoother hair coats and weight gain, more activity.

Red cell is also avail in the horse area. 😊

You use like a half cup bleach per gal on grass. Garlic just put on their grain maybe twice a month.
Interesting.

Latest posts