Sick goat...need advice

Karenbear29

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have a one year old pygmy goat that has had soft bowels for about 3 weeks. I dewormed her thinking that that might be the issue. I have taken her temp and it is normal but her bowels are very soft and almost runny. she is eating and drinking but I am very concerned that there is something very wrong and need to know if I should deworm her again or what I should do. thank you

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Have a fecal run. First you need to know if it indeed is a parasite and if so what kind.
Second if she is having some coccidia issues then dewormers will not work.
There are are things like Giardia that can cause issues.. also can be see under a scope.

Giving a dweormer without actually knowing what kind of parasite you may be dealing with can build resistance.
If a goat has flukes then most dewormers will be ineffective.
Dosage is also important.

Has there been any change in her diet?

Karenbear29

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Have a fecal run. First you need to know if it indeed is a parasite and if so what kind.
Second if she is having some coccidia issues then dewormers will not work.
There are are things like Giardia that can cause issues.. also can be see under a scope.

Giving a dweormer without actually knowing what kind of parasite you may be dealing with can build resistance.
If a goat has flukes then most dewormers will be ineffective.
Dosage is also important.

Has there been any change in her diet?
Nope no changes in diet and the rest seem fine. I am going to take sample for testing tomorrow. What is flukes?

Karenbear29

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Took her to vet yesterday, had to drive an hour they are few and hard to find, she has coccidia. She and my others are on meds! Vet said my other wormer is working but it doesnt kill this type of parasite. I have been educated!

alsea1

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
If you can gather some black berry brush for her that would help get her back into shape.