Sick goat, stumped vet

Mrs1885

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Schmoo is the 6 month old I was afraid had pneumonia but the vet said he was just depressed from being bullied. He's still inside but seems to be getting worse. He doesn't pace like he did but he still doesn't seem well and he falls once in a while and can't get up; just lays there crying. He also gets himself wedged in between things, like the toilet and the wall, and can't figure out how to back out.

The vet did blood tests, fecal and xrays and everything was fine. He said if he was given his labs and stuff and didn't see him he'd say he was a perfectly healthy kid. Can anyone think of anything we are missing?

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Take his temp, several times a day.

Has his heart been checked?

Has he always been "off"?

How is his gait? Can he run or sprint? Does is usually turn right or left, or is it about half and half?

Honestly with something like this, it is hard to tell.

Mrs1885

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Take his temp, several times a day.

Has his heart been checked?

Has he always been "off"?

How is his gait? Can he run or sprint? Does is usually turn right or left, or is it about half and half?

Honestly with something like this, it is hard to tell.

I'll start checking temp. He's under my desk in front of a heater and is more relaxed.

Daughter took him to vet so I'm not sure what all was checked, other than she said bloodwork, xrays and fecal. I'm sure he listened to the heart but not sure if he listened a while or did more th an a quick listen.

He has always been off. He's the runt of triplets; mom rejected him. Others wouldn't accept him. Friend started bottle feeding him then brought him to me. He's always seemed frail and weak. Never did goat parkour or ran around or anything.

His gait is weak. The back legs seem weak and when he falls that's usually why. I have never noticed if he turns in circles or paces in one direction more than another. He does like walking against walls or people.

Mrs1885

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I dont know anything about goats, but it sounds nuerological to me.
That's what hubby keeps thinking too. He says he may have taken too many shots to the head. I hope that's not it. :(

Tomorrow we are creating them a yard and house just for them right off my office so they will be close. We can run some heat lamps and suspend them with metal chains. Hoping time helps him.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Call the vet and ask if the heart has been checked.

Where are you located? Any possibility of deer in the pasture? You could start meningele worm treatment.
I’d ask about giving dexamethasone.

I’d also be giving thiamine and A D E B12 gel to help give him a boost.

It is really hard to say though, without seeing the goat. Sorry you are dealing with this :(

Mrs1885

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thanks. :) we are in Middle TN. Lots of deer here but I never see signs of them in the pasture. Certainly doesn't mean they aren't there. Will call vet in morning. Is the gel an OTC or something from the vet?

Rammy

Herd Master
Reaction score
Call the vet and ask if the heart has been checked.

Where are you located? Any possibility of deer in the pasture? You could start meningele worm treatment.
I’d ask about giving dexamethasone.

I’d also be giving thiamine and A D E B12 gel to help give him a boost.

It is really hard to say though, without seeing the goat. Sorry you are dealing with this :(

I never thought about meningele worm. Ive heard that can cause similar symptoms like whats being described. Is there a way they can check that?

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
No, you just treat and hope for the best.

Neurological type issues are hard. Honestly it helps to see the goat. A few years back a friend was having issues with a goat. It started in the back legs but the goat started getting worse and worse. Vet couldn't figure it out. I was over visiting and happened to see the goat. I mentioned M worm. The vet didn't think so but at that point, may as well treat. The treatment worked, though the goat did have lasting damage.

For us, whenever we have a goat looking neurological, I start high doses of Pen G and thiamine (for good measure) and dexamethasone too, if I think its needed. We had listeria 2x from hay issues. I don't mess around and treat asap.

@Mrs1885 you can order it online, its OTC.
I would research meningele worm and see if the symptoms fit. I believe the treatment calls for high doses of fenbendazole and either banamine or Dex (to help with inflammation).