Sick goat?

WolfeMomma

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Ok, so yesterday we brought home two 6 month old Nigerian Dwarf doelings, They are sisters, twins I think. The smaller one I noticed will cough and sneeze sometimes, and she seems much more calm and less jumpy then her bigger sister. Is the cough and sneeze something I need to be very concerned about? There is no mucus around her nose at all. Im very new to goats so bare with me lol Just trying to make sure I have the correct information and products if i need to treat her.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Transport causes stress. Sometimes that stress can result in what is called "shipping" fever. Shipping fever is generally respiratory. Not all respiratory is pneumonia but can be.
Lack of runny nose doesn't mean she isn't having a respiratory issue.

Several other things generally happen when a goat is moved. Number one being a parasitic bloom.
You should have a fecal run within the next 4 days... they need to check for coccida and parasites (worms).
ALL goats have some parasites but moving a goat causes the bloom.

Often with respiratory anti-biotics are used and is best. Most vets will give oxcytetracycline injection.

If you have a good goat vet it is wise to consult with them.

You should take the temperature on both goats. Digiral thermometers should be held in a bit longer than when they beep.
The slip covers are great to have and get a small jar of vaseline.
Label GOATS on these items.

Whenever a goat seems off take it's temp first!

Latest posts