Sick Heifer ?? Need Help

gltrap54

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
One of my two heifers (my first!) has had a lot of slobbers coming out of her mouth & now it appears she has very watery stool. She is still eating creep feed & some hay.......... Should I call the vet?

herfrds

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Is she also out on pasture?
ears drooping?
Is it hot where you are?

glenolam

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
How old is she? Is she also acting differently than normal? More information might help in determining if she does need a vet.

gltrap54

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
herfrds said:
Is she also out on pasture?
ears drooping?
Is it hot where you are?
No drooping ears.....

She is on a couple acres of brome/fescue, but they don't do a great deal of grazing. I keep brome & alfalfa in their hay rack....

Yes, it has been extremely hot (104/105) the whole past week here in NE Kansas...... I think the heat may have a lot to do with it......

Temps have cooled into the mid 80s & she seems to be doing better today....

gltrap54

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
glenolam said:
How old is she? Is she also acting differently than normal? More information might help in determining if she does need a vet.
She's probably 7-8 months old....... I'm thinking the extreme temps are the culprit..... They've got plenty of good shade & I keep a mud hole wet for them ...., but we've had a solid week of temps over 100 degrees.

herfrds

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Stress and heat will cause the slobbers.
Grass and stress will cause the diahhria.

If it has gotten cooler and she has quit slobbering then that was the cause. Ours were slobbering when the temps got high.

gltrap54

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your input! Noticed she still had diaherra when I fed this morning. She's eating fine & acting like she feels OK. She's kickin' up her heels in the cool rain we're getting, so we'll see ...........

gltrap54

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Decided to call the vet for my sick heifer, he'll be out tomorrow to check her..... She still has diarrhea & he's seeing a lot of respitory infections with our recent heat wave......... Better safe than sorry!

glenolam

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Good luck with her. Scour Ease will help with her diarreah; the main concern is keeping her hydrated with the high temps and pooing. Jeffers Livestock, as well as other feed stores carry items called Kick Start and Bounce Back that will help with hydration and electrolytes.

One question for you - how long have you had her?

Latest posts