Sick Heifer ?? Need Help

gltrap54

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
glenolam said:
Good luck with her. Scour Ease will help with her diarreah; the main concern is keeping her hydrated with the high temps and pooing. Jeffers Livestock, as well as other feed stores carry items called Kick Start and Bounce Back that will help with hydration and electrolytes.

One question for you - how long have you had her?
I've had her since May 18Th. Vet says she's probably 18 months old (shows how much I know..)...... He sold me a gallon of oral solution called Corid (amprolium) 9.6% coccidostat that is mixed with their water for five days. This solution is $75/Gallon!!!!!

This treatment should eliminate any chance of coccidiosis that might exist...... Keep your fingers crossed!

glenolam

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
With her being stressed from the move to your place she would be more susceptable to picking something like coccidia up. Did he take a stool sample to test? Did he take her temp at all to see if she's got an infection? Is she still seeming perky?

I'd keep up with the electrolytes and nutrients and try treating her for the diarreah, too. If you're still feeding her grain, I'd hold off on that and just keep her to good hay and fresh water. I'm not too sure, but I would think you'd want to keep her off the pasture for now, just in case there's some of those nasty buggers living out there and she's ingesting them. Of course, I'm no vet, but just thinking of what I'd do if she were here.

Good luck - I'm sorry she's going through this!

gltrap54

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
glenolam said:
With her being stressed from the move to your place she would be more susceptable to picking something like coccidia up. Did he take a stool sample to test? Did he take her temp at all to see if she's got an infection? Is she still seeming perky?

I'd keep up with the electrolytes and nutrients and try treating her for the diarreah, too. If you're still feeding her grain, I'd hold off on that and just keep her to good hay and fresh water. I'm not too sure, but I would think you'd want to keep her off the pasture for now, just in case there's some of those nasty buggers living out there and she's ingesting them. Of course, I'm no vet, but just thinking of what I'd do if she were here.

Good luck - I'm sorry she's going through this!
Vet said she prolly had respitory problems as a calf making her more susceptible to heat stress........... I don't have any way to confine my heifers (ie, pen or corral), so I'm sure he was limited on treatment...... Their heads are up as are their ears & they're eating, so who knows........