Sick kid!!! HELP ASAP!!!! PLEASE

CaliFarmsAR

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hello y’all, this is an emergency!!

We had 4 ND kids born yesterday, one was still born and the other 3 were fine until today.

The buckling isn’t doing good at all, we had tried giving Replacement Colostrum and a boost. He hardly has wanted to eat and we have been syringe feeding him, but he’s not wanting to eat a lot. He is standing and will walk a little, but then lays down, a bit lethargic, not wanting to eat, runny poos (normal for a new born, but it’s not getting any better like his sisters). Please help!!!!! He’s my sister’s baby goat and I don’t want her to be sad of another loss!!!

Ps: sorry if I repeat some stuff, trying to hurry and get this out there!
Any help is appreciated greatly

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Use the does milk! Try not to go with other if possible. Milk her enough for him. Hope all works out. Sometimes a weak kid comes around with a little help...which you seem to be doing. A little of her colostrum every hour or so could be all he needs to gain some strength. If you use artificial he'll not do as well and she may reject him as he won't smell like hers. A weak kid is often pushed from the teat by stronger ones, esp with multiples.

Let us know how it goes. :hugs

CaliFarmsAR

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Use the does milk! Try not to go with other if possible. Milk her enough for him. Hope all works out. Sometimes a weak kid comes around with a little help...which you seem to be doing. A little of her colostrum every hour or so could be all he needs to gain some strength. If you use artificial he'll not do as well and she may reject him as he won't smell like hers. A weak kid is often pushed from the teat by stronger ones, esp with multiples.

Let us know how it goes. :hugs
Okay! We tried the does milk, but that didn’t help. We think it’s Selenium deficiency

Show Sebright

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Hello y’all, this is an emergency!!

We had 4 ND kids born yesterday, one was still born and the other 3 were fine until today.

The buckling isn’t doing good at all, we had tried giving Replacement Colostrum and a boost. He hardly has wanted to eat and we have been syringe feeding him, but he’s not wanting to eat a lot. He is standing and will walk a little, but then lays down, a bit lethargic, not wanting to eat, runny poos (normal for a new born, but it’s not getting any better like his sisters). Please help!!!!! He’s my sister’s baby goat and I don’t want her to be sad of another loss!!!

Ps: sorry if I repeat some stuff, trying to hurry and get this out there!
Any help is appreciated greatly
Check temp! We learned that if the are too hot or cold they just shut down. We made a ‘goat smoker’ for the last set of babies. (The goat smoker is a rain barrel that has wood chips and hay at the bottom with a cutout for the kids to enter. The top has a whole to get a heat lamp in. Keeps them warm.

Attachments

• A0597C38-84C3-40B1-A49C-2B682300D256.jpeg
    A0597C38-84C3-40B1-A49C-2B682300D256.jpeg
    112.1 KB · Views: 72

CaliFarmsAR

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Check temp! We learned that if the are too hot or cold they just shut down. We made a ‘goat smoker’ for the last set of babies. (The goat smoker is a rain barrel that has wood chips and hay at the bottom with a cutout for the kids to enter. The top has a whole to get a heat lamp in. Keeps them warm.
Okay! Will do

CaliFarmsAR

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
His temperature is 101.3. I read normal is 101.5-105.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am not a goat person...BUT.... normal temp is real good... keep trying to get little bits of colostrum down it... not much else to do... a shot of MuSe for lambs/sheep/goats might help if low selenium... use the smallest dose possible to not upset the balance in the body.... keep warm so he does not use valuable strength to try to keep up body temp.....
Sounds like you are doing all that is humanly possible at this point.

CaliFarmsAR

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I am not a goat person...BUT.... normal temp is real good... keep trying to get little bits of colostrum down it... not much else to do... a shot of MuSe for lambs/sheep/goats might help if low selenium... use the smallest dose possible to not upset the balance in the body.... keep warm so he does not use valuable strength to try to keep up body temp.....
Sounds like you are doing all that is humanly possible at this point.
Thank you so much. We will have to go buy some MuSe tomorrow as it is night here.