• yes

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • no

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Forgot to add. I've not heard of poultry have a problem with fermented feed, their digestion system is different. Again check your PH and make sure it is 4 or lower so your killing any bad bacteria.

CowboyClayt

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Forgot to add. I've not heard of poultry have a problem with fermented feed, their digestion system is different. Again check your PH and make sure it is 4 or lower so your killing any bad bacteria.
So if it is that low, it would be okay to ferment it?

CowboyClayt

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Stop feeding them fermented feed. Pigs systems do not need fermented feed. The gas is from the fermentation process which is continuing in their guts and/or bad bacteria or wild yeast in the fermentation. Making fermented feed for pigs is suppose to be kept at certain consistent temps for certain lengths of time, simply pouring water into the feed and leaving it for a couple days is not the proper way to do it. Fermenting feed was an old fashion way of feeding hogs because it softened the whole grains being feed to them to help them digest more of the grains, if your feeding powder feed simply wetting it will have the same effect as fermenting as far as weight gain. 125-175lbs you need 4-5lbs dry feed weight per head per day, 175lbs-250lbs you need 6-7lbs of dry feed weight per head per day. If your actively feeding hay or pasture raising you can feed less grain based feed.

If you really think you need to feed fermented feed to your pigs get PH strips and test the fermented feed. PH should be 4 or less if it is higher your potential feeding your pigs bad bacteria. You could also have gotten a bad strain of wild yeast introduced into your fermentation containers. Adding lactic acid would also help.

Nutri-drench is not likely to do anything for the gas, off feed, and runny noses.

If the temps have been swinging around a lot like here i would say they are fine. Pigs will stop eating if they get to hot. Try feeding earlier in the morning or later in the evening when it is cooler.
Can you send me a link on which ph strips to get? I saw different kinds on Amazon but not sure if it maters what kind I get.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score

CowboyClayt

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Fermenting to 4 or lower is ok for human consumption so yes it would be fine for poultry.

Any PH test strips....let me find some.

Any like this kind that test 0-13
https://www.grainger.com/product/3U...0717!&ef_id=WKH55wAAAFEwiBME:20170717174604:s
I believe this is actually the same brand i have for testing sanitizer water.

(technically 4.5 or lower is human consumption but most do 4)
Fermenting to 4 or lower is ok for human consumption so yes it would be fine for poultry.

Any PH test strips....let me find some.

Any like this kind that test 0-13
https://www.grainger.com/product/3U...0717!&ef_id=WKH55wAAAFEwiBME:20170717174604:s
I believe this is actually the same brand i have for testing sanitizer water.

(technically 4.5 or lower is human consumption but most do 4)

Great! Thank you so much!