Sick sheep

MandyH

Just born
Reaction score
OK, I'm gonna try to make this as short as possible. For 3 weeks we have had a sick sheep. The stupid vet said treat her with LA 200 and Nuflor (one shot of each then again in 48 hours) She was going downhill fast and then we got up with a man who used to be THE sheep man at the University. He said by listening to her symptoms that she had nasal bots/head grubs and told us to treat her with a shot of Ivomec, which we did and saw some improvement over the next few days. Well a week later she was about the same and this week she has shown some improvement (eating a little hay, going out with the herd a time or two). Well today she is down and is weak. How do I give her fluids and where do I get them? I'm afraid if she is down she may not get back up.

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Raised sheep for 20 years. A sick sheep is usually a dead sheep. I would guess that the bots and other parasites died in her body and she improved for several days, but when they began to rot, they flooded her already weakened system with toxins, which are now making her very sick. Just my opinion. Be sure to treat the rest of the flock with ivomec. If one had them, they all do. Also, depending on your location, you may have liver flukes. Ivomec will not kill them, you need a flukicide for them.

MandyH

Just born
Reaction score
We've never encountered this before and the vets are useless around here unless it's a durn horse they are doctoring on. What I need to know is how to administer fluids to her.

mully

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Try a turkey baster or a large syringe, you can get fluids in her right away. If she is suffering from the death of a large amount of parasites then you want to get as much fluids into her as possible. a good dosing of vitamin C would also help Good luck and keep her hydrated.

mully

Loving the herd life
Reaction score