sick sheep

Danner

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hi, this is my first year with sheep. I have 10 ewes, 1 ram and 13 new lambs. The ewes are Katadins. All are doing well except 1. This yearling ewe has had runny poop for about 4 weeks now. I assumed it was worms. I treated her at 1st with a drench of Ivermectin. 3 weeks later no improvement. I talked with the vet and she gave me some dectomax which I gave a week ago. There is still no improvement. All my other sheep have finished lambing but she has not. I'm not completely sure she is pregnant by looking at her. Any ideas? Also, should I separate her to keep her from infecting the pasture? I don't want to stress her anymore, but I don't want to spread her problems.

bcnewe2

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
coccidia?
Is it dark icky poop or green runny? Green would be rich grass since she is already wormed (X2) but dark and icky would have me checking for coccidia. It's spring and lots of rain. But I would think your lambs would be showing signs too.

Does she seem perk, eating and drinking still?

Sometimes one will slip by one cycle and be caught on the next. How long did you leave the ram in? How old are the lambs?

I put my ram in with 13 ewes in September. About half lambed in Early January and the other half lambed a few weeks ago. The later ones were young and didn't look much pregnant. Hardly any bags. All told I had 25+ lambs!

If you haven't separated her by now if it's something contagious I would think they're exposed. Does she have a temp or runny nose? Although elevated temp can mean lambing too.

Danner

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. The poop is runny and dark green. She is still alert and eats and drinks. The ram has been in with her since December. She doesn't have a runny nose.

bcnewe2

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Take a sample in to the vet. Then you'll know for sure.