Sick sheep

TheSwindler

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I am new to sheep and need some help. I think I've got a sick one. I got my first three sheep 4 days ago. The last 2-3 days, one seems likes she's sick. She is about 5 years old, dorper probably mixed with katahdin. She had been in with a ram for a few cycles before I picked her up.

She stands hunched over with her head hanging to the ground and lays down a lot with her chin on the ground. When she's standing she sways/shivers mildly and her eyes start closing. Sometimes she is with the other sheep but sometimes she's alone. She may be grinding her teeth, but I can't tell between that and chewing grass/cud yet. I've seen her stamp and shake about 3 times this morning.

She only nibbles at grass, is not interested in the treat bucket (alfalfa/timothy pellets with some cattle cube snacks her previous owner gave me). When we first brought her home she was eating straight out of the bucket. I don't really see her chewing cud ever. Yesterday her left side looked bigger than the right, so this morning I gave her water with baking soda. Now I see her regurgitating but immediately swallowing it back down without much chewing.

Her eyelid is a deep pink and she was dewormed about 1-2 weeks ago on the previous ranch.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

TheSwindler

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Forgot to add-

Her poop is pelleted but stuck together in clumps, although I haven't seen her go today.

She has some clear/yellow fluid around her nostrils that I don't see on the other two.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to BYH from NE TX! So glad you joined us, but sorry for the reason. I'm not a sheeple, but what you've described does not sound like (or indicate) normal (healthy) behavior. Generally speaking the first order of business is to take temperature. A fever indicates infection of some sort. Low temp also means something isn't right. Normal should be right around 102°f +/- ~1 degree. What you describe around her nose could also indicate respiratory infection. When you say you gave her water and baking soda... how much? With the size of the rumen on an adult, you'd need "quarts" (a LOT) to have any effect, if that was even an issue... Since the purchase was so recent, perhaps you could ask the previous owner (experienced?) for some help guidance? Unless they purposely sold you sick sheep...There's a wealth of info, knowledge and experience shared in the multitude of threads. Browse around and see what interesting stuff you can find. You'll get to "meet" folks at the same time. By all means post away when the desire strikes you, especially if you have questions (provide as much detail/info as possible and pictures truly help)... With all the great folks here, generally someone will respond in no time at all. Oh, and we all love pics, so post them anytime you feel the need! Please make yourself at home! I'll tag a few sheeple who may be able to help.

@Sheepshape @mysunwolf @Roving Jacobs @ohiogoatgirl @Mike CHS @Baymule and there are others... Good luck and hope she recovers and is fine!

mysunwolf

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome to BYH! I'm with @Latestarter, I'm sorry a sick sheep is the reason you're here but we're happy to have you.

I agree that you should take her temp. That will tell you if you're dealing with an infection, most commonly respiratory at this time of year. If you know a good large animal vet nearby, now might be a good time to start establishing a relationship with them--it's the only way to get certain prescription medications for later use as well! In addition, often a good vet can listen to the lungs and tell how bad a respiratory infection is and what kind of antibiotic to try first.

If she has no fever but her appetite is down, I'd begin to suspect a mild metabolic issue and would treat her with propylene glycol (just for a day or two, don't want to overdo this one), power punch/drench, calcium, and give a vitamin B complex shot and see if she perks up.

Could be a number of other things as well, but start with temperature and continue to watch her behavior.

TheSwindler

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Thanks all for the warm welcome!

I will pick up a thermometer in town this evening. I've never taken a sheep's (or any animal's) temp before so that will be an interesting experience!

I gave a regular water bottle worth of the baking soda/water but not all of it made it into her mouth. Maybe only a cup went down. But since I've seen her regurgitate then I don't think bloat would still be the problem?

She got a mouthful of loose mineral on her own today (after I herded them to that area of the paddock) and did eat a little grass, but no where near the amount the other two sheep are eating.

A vet and the previous owner are good resources. The sheep was definitely more perky when we first brought her home. I started noticing a difference about a day in. Maybe she ate something bad here or is stressed from the move?

ohiogoatgirl

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. I'm afraid I've not heard of those symptoms together. Since they are new to the property I would suggest looking around the area(s) they've been to check for poisonous plants. It could be a combination of stress from the move and eating some new/possibly not good plant?
Once you know if there is a fever or not will help pin it down.

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum....and sorry to hear that you have found the site in the way you have....but let's hope we can collectively help!

Snotty nose plus shivering (VERY unusual in other than young lambs and very 'tender ' breeds in harsh environments) usually means respiratory infection, particularly when it develops so fast. It sounds as though she has a fever. As mysunwolf said, discuss with your vet if he/she deals with farm animals. If not a farm animal vet, be sure to speak to someone who IS familiar with sheep.

Bloat is usually pretty apparent. the animal's 'belly' usually inflates like a balloon.

Tooth grinding is a a very non-specific sign in sheep. Pretty much all sheep tooth grind when in pain, and many do when they are distressed for any reason at all.

Though sheep are notorious for spending their lives 'trying to die' (they show symptoms late as they are a prey species and don't want to demonstrate their vulnerability), they are very treatable if their illness can be diagnosed.

Good luck with your ewe, and please let us know how you get on.

TheSwindler

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for all the advice. This site is so friendly!

Update: My ewe is still acting dazed and not eating but she seems to be not as hunched over as she was yesterday and is looking around a bit more. I just gave her a probiotic/vitamin/electrolyte drench just now. While I was in the pen drenching her another of the sheep had a tremendous sneeze with snot shooting out one end and poop the other. So I drenched her as well.

I see she pooped 3 or 4 times during the night. It's just a big blob now, semi firm but no 'berries'.

I wasn't able to get a thermometer yesterday - are there any ways to ballpark it without a thermometer, similar to feeling a forehead in humans?

I think will give her aspirin now and see if that helps.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
Have you seen her drink any water? Everyone has already covered more than I could have come up with but I would try to have a fecal sample tested if you have a vet handy.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I wasn't able to get a thermometer yesterday - are there any ways to ballpark it without a thermometer, similar to feeling a forehead in humans?
Well... perhaps you have a calibrated toe or finger... I mean many test temps of water before entering by sticking their toe in, or test food before eating by touching it... Not sure how you'd get your toe up her butt... A finger would be easier, but I doubt it's calibrated sufficiently to do the trick... :smack:lol:

OK, all seriousness aside... ummm I mean KIDDING aside (that would be lambing in your case, kidding is for goats ;)). Only accurate manner would be the thermometer. You can get cheap ones at virtually any drug store; Walgreens, CVS & the like or at Walmart and most likely Target. I wouldn't get one of the glass mercury type as I'd be afraid to break it while in use. I have one of the cheap battery powered type. May be a good idea to make sure it's marked "For Animal Use Only" after application the first time. :sick:gig