Sick, wormy, lice infested, baby goat

Feo

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Hey people! First things first, this is NOT my goat. It is my neighbors, I just brought it home because I am more suitable for helping it at this point. He is a 4(?) Month old kiko cross. Very tiny. He is extremly wormy, I belive the worms have become immune to the wormer my neighbors use. Anyways, I picked up some stronger wormer and red cell from the vet last night. He seems a little better, I guess it's just a waiting game for now. But i checked him over, and he has a very bad case of lice. Any suggestions or ideas on what to do with this guy?

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Highly unusual for a 4 month old goat to be that parasitic. I would check for coccidia first. It is treated differently, dewormers will do nothing if it is coccidia. Did the vet do a fecal?
FAMACHA is not adequate for diagnosis.
TSC andmost livestock places carry permethrin 10% concentrate- it is labeled for goats and other livestock. It is a concentrate so you must mix it with water- directions are enclosed. Pour on the goat. I would bathe the goat with the mixture in the shampoo, rinse, then pour remaining mix (no shampoo) over goat. This is the fastest way to get them off- you will need to repeat in 10-14 days.

Feo

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Highly unusual for a 4 month old goat to be that parasitic. I would check for coccidia first. It is treated differently, dewormers will do nothing if it is coccidia. Did the vet do a fecal?
FAMACHA is not adequate for diagnosis.
TSC andmost livestock places carry permethrin 10% concentrate- it is labeled for goats and other livestock. It is a concentrate so you must mix it with water- directions are enclosed. Pour on the goat. I would bathe the goat with the mixture in the shampoo, rinse, then pour remaining mix (no shampoo) over goat. This is the fastest way to get them off- you will need to repeat in 10-14 days.
Ok thanks so much. There was no fecal done, but I literally saw worms in is stools. Coccida could be part of it.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Hope he recovers for you.

Reactions: Feo

Donna R. Raybon

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Absolutely treat for coccidia!!! And, make sure dewormer you are using will get tapeworms. Most likely if you saw worms with naked eye, then it is tapes.

If resistance is an issue you need to not only switch dewormer but FAMILY of dewormer. For example if resistant to ivomec, then doramectin is same family and probably won't work either. Deworm kid, wait ten days and deworm again to ensure you get encysted L4 stage of barberpole (haeomonchus) worm.

Since kid is rumenanting by now, I would use injectable B complex daily to help with rebuilding red blood cells. Once goat starts to rumenate oral B vitamins are degraded before they ever get to the intestinal tract to be absorbed. Added iron is good too. You can use bitter black strop molassess as an iron source, give about a tablespoon daily.

Good luck with TLC and hope all heals.

Feo

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help, but he died yesterday. Even the vet said he was probably too far gone. :(

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
So sorry to hear. Condolences.