Sid Update!!! WAS: Sid stopped eating

SkyWarrior

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Sid stopped eating. We're not sure if it's in protest from not getting llama lunch or whether he's really sick. We have phone calls into the vet. Sigh. Thoughts? He's pretty ancient now. I'm guessing 17? We wormed him and tried sweet feed. Tried fresh grass. Tried hay. Got llama lunch today. Trying it tonight. Oh, and he sometimes has foam on his mouth.

Thoughts?

Maggie

alsea1

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Is he drinking water still? If he is old he may be having digestive issues. What condition are his teeth?
Sometimes an animal will stop eating if it hurts.

SkyWarrior

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Is he drinking water still? If he is old he may be having digestive issues. What condition are his teeth?
Sometimes an animal will stop eating if it hurts.

We have to check his teeth today. We'll know if that's his problem today. We finally got hold of the vet and reading between the lines, he said basically Sid is an old llama and he's at the end of his life. We can try to support his liver and get a few more weeks out of him or his kidneys, if those are the problem, and get maybe six more months. This sucks.

Don't know nothing 'bout llamas or alpacas but I have heard of them being prone to ulcers. :idunno

@purplequeenvt Any ideas?

Haven't heard that, and the vet didn't mention it. I suspect we'll know more in a bit.

Maybe PM @ksalvagno He/she may not be on much anymore but if you PM him/her it might send an email saying that there is a massage.

I sent her a PM, but I haven't heard back from her.

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
At 17, he's pretty old. I'd have the vet come look at him, but honestly, I'd start thinking about whether it was time to let him go.

Llamas and alpacas are prone to ulcers, but I think he is suffering from old age.

:hugs