Signs buck might carry extension gene?

Roseatebunny

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a Netherland dwarf buck.
He is a black self carrying dilute.

I know the kits he had before I bought him.
He was paired with a harlequin and their was a harlequin baby.
I know harlequin is recessive, that means he must carry harlequin or tort.

How do you know if he is carry tort or harlequin?
I would like to know if there's a visual clue. I will breed him to an orange in July.
But would like to have a guess before hand.

Thank you,
Lauren

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Do you have his pedigree? Sometimes, not always as recessives can hide for generations, you can get a clue from his ancestry.

Roseatebunny

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Do you have his pedigree? Sometimes, not always as recessives can hide for generations, you can get a clue from his ancestry.
Unfortunately no, I got him off someone who didn't breed him.

Niele da Kine

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
There's no visual clues on a bunny to determine which recessive he may have, but since he's had harlequin offspring, he has to carry either 'ej' or 'e'. Breed him to a tort and if there's harlies, then he carries 'ej'. Of course, you'd need a tort doe for that test breeding.

What is an 'orange'? High rufus fawn? Or just a regular fawn? (I only have English angoras and color names can change depending on the rabbit breed) Would an orange be: A_ B_ C_ D_ ee + rufus? Well, figure a basic fawn. Add in your self black with dilute buck who would have: aa B_ C_ Dd E/ej or e. Between those two you'll see basic agouti plus some fawns. That's about all you can tell from their colors and known offspring.

If the doe doesn't have a recessive for self, then all of them will be agouti based. Unknown on chocolates or albinos, but if one shows up you'll find out that both parents carry the recessive. If there's any dilutes, then the doe would carry 'd'. Each offspring should have a 50% chance to be harlequin or tort.

Roseatebunny

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
There's no visual clues on a bunny to determine which recessive he may have, but since he's had harlequin offspring, he has to carry either 'ej' or 'e'. Breed him to a tort and if there's harlies, then he carries 'ej'. Of course, you'd need a tort doe for that test breeding.

What is an 'orange'? High rufus fawn? Or just a regular fawn? (I only have English angoras and color names can change depending on the rabbit breed) Would an orange be: A_ B_ C_ D_ ee + rufus? Well, figure a basic fawn. Add in your self black with dilute buck who would have: aa B_ C_ Dd E/ej or e. Between those two you'll see basic agouti plus some fawns. That's about all you can tell from their colors and known offspring.

If the doe doesn't have a recessive for self, then all of them will be agouti based. Unknown on chocolates or albinos, but if one shows up you'll find out that both parents carry the recessive. If there's any dilutes, then the doe would carry 'd'. Each offspring should have a 50% chance to be harlequin or tort.
Tort is self orange. Orange is agouti based. it's the same gene just different versions. Except orange has no shading.
Orange A-B-C-D -ee
instead of tort (aka. Sooty fawn) a a B-C-D -ee

fawn is dilute orange. beige is dilute tort.
Rufus just makes things MORE red, it can be in anything but chinchilla.

I have an orange doe. Her mum was blue Dutch (dilute), her dad harlequin.

Attachments

• 44267722-842-640x480.jpg
    44267722-842-640x480.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 83

Niele da Kine

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Ah, different breeds, different color names.

A_ B_ C_ D_ ee is "Fawn" in English Angoras which would be "Orange" in Netherland Dwarfs.

aa B_C_D_ee is Tort (tortoiseshell) in English Angoras. Torts can be black tort, blue tort, chocolate tort, lilac tort.

A_bb C_ D_ ee is Chocolate Agouti or sometimes called Cinnamon.

A_ B_ C_ dd ee is Opal.

A_ bb C_ dd ee is Lynx.

Harlequin and broken aren't allowable colors in English angoras, although someone was trying to get broken allowed, I've not kept track of if they did or not. BEWs are allowed, but any Vienna mark is a DQ. No Dutch in EAs.

As if figuring out the genetics isn't enough sideways thinking, trying to figure out which colors are what in which breed just adds to the chaos.

Roseatebunny

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Ah, different breeds, different color names.

A_ B_ C_ D_ ee is "Fawn" in English Angoras which would be "Orange" in Netherland Dwarfs.

aa B_C_D_ee is Tort (tortoiseshell) in English Angoras. Torts can be black tort, blue tort, chocolate tort, lilac tort.

A_bb C_ D_ ee is Chocolate Agouti or sometimes called Cinnamon.

A_ B_ C_ dd ee is Opal.

A_ bb C_ dd ee is Lynx.

Harlequin and broken aren't allowable colors in English angoras, although someone was trying to get broken allowed, I've not kept track of if they did or not. BEWs are allowed, but any Vienna mark is a DQ. No Dutch in EAs.

As if figuring out the genetics isn't enough sideways thinking, trying to figure out which colors are what in which breed just adds to the chaos.
No your thinking of-

A_bb C_ D_ E is Chocolate Agouti or sometimes called Cinnamon.

A_ B_ C_ dd E is Opal.

A_ bb C_ dd E is Lynx

only dominant non extension E gene agouti are these, not recessive wide band ee gene.

Opal, lynx and cinnamon are all just non black agouti. Orange is a wide band agouti and has different names for things in all breeds, including angora.

those you said would be (in angora next to it.).

A_bb C_ D_ ee is chocolate orange. (Disqualified)
A_ B_ C_ dd ee is fawn or "angora cream"/

A_ bb C_ dd ee is Lilac orange or "wheaten " (Disqualified)

Your sooty fawn (self based widebands) are called "tort" but agouti based wideband are always versions of orange.

your true fawn (dilute orange) is called "cream". Like you said your true orange is called "fawn".

it's like agouti is called castor in rex and black otter is black and tan in Belgian hares.

I hate name changes!!!!

Last edited:

Latest posts