silarajc's "Starting a Farm" Journal

silarajc

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
If they have ample opportunity to graze, do they try to get out much? The stiff panels probably would be the easiest; we could push them through the brush and it would simplify moving the area. Just worried they will act like toddlers and always want what's on the other side!

silarajc

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
And so far, predators would be possible coyotes and maybe dogs are the only things I think we have around that are big enough to take on a goat. I've heard the coyotes, but never seen them. My dog we keep close by and she responds fairly well, neighbor's dogs don't come over (although adding chickens might bring some by in time).

And I would plan to take the goats into a safer structure at night. Just wouldn't be able to relax leaving them out in the woods!

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, it is in a goats nature, but given ample room we haven't had any issues with ours, but they are fence pushers...they will test every inch below about 3' scratching their sides, just make sure the horizontal wires are on the animal side. They will also exploit any gap or hole below the fenceline. The panels are certainly not adjustableable to lay of the land....and they Love to climb.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Goats are notorious for getting themselves into trouble. As many have stated, they're like a 3 year old and have to investigate everything, including things that shouldn't be. But they really are cool animals, and the milk is delish. I've heard the meat is as well, but I haven't processed any of mine yet. I also have a dairy breed (goat), so not as much meat as a meat breed or cross. The way you explained your situation, I'd consider an electric net fence. It comes in like 160 foot lengths and you can attach 2 together to expand the area contained if you wanted. If you start them out inside it in an open area so they can get zapped a few times and learn the fence is the boundary, you can then put that fencing back in your woods and they can clear the area piece by piece. You simply pull the step in stakes and move the fence to the next section to be worked on as they finish up where they are.

I look to expand into hair sheep (no wool to shear) which are primarily meat sheep here either later this year or early next year. I love lamb :drool and I've been to Greece and eaten real souflaki (or souvlaki) where the mutton stands on a rotating vertical skewer in front of a flame to cook it. The vendor just slices off chunks of the cooked meat into a flour shell (gyro) and OMG is it good!
upload_2017-5-16_15-40-20.jpeg

I need to get a few steers for my front pasture as well.

silarajc

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Hmm. Seems like it is best to wait to put them to work until I am on summer break and can check on them frequently. Wouldn't get any until next spring at the earliest anyway. I wonder how far one would wander if it got out?? Probably just until it found my garden...

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
There are stories of escapees (goats) in the threads here where they've been found miles away! They browse and a noise scares them and they bolt, then bolt again, and before you know it, they're gone. You can tie them but in a wooded environment, you'd probably come back to find them dead from strangulation, or gone from breaking the collar/lead. They'll wrap them selves around everything they can get to. I'm sure by next year you'll have much more info/knowledge and be better prepared :D

silarajc

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
And here's why you should have the coop built before the chicks arrive (I tried to have it done, I really did!)
IMG_5969.JPG

Now that temperatures are warmer, wondering if putting them in a temporary pen with a roof might be better. We can build it larger outside!

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
We got ours the first wk in June last yr, there are 11 of them and 12 ducks....they were in their outside pen at 3wks old, did well without any source of heat. It was just too much for inside. We kept hay on the ground to help keep them off the ground and to snuggle in, but the chicks preferred the small roost pole I put in there and huddled together on the roost that was about 6-8" off the ground. The area they were in was 6x8'. The ducks just huddled in the hay, but there weren't any problems with either of them...they were kept separated.

silarajc

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Thinking the wire fencing and a tarp over the top. At least then they will have a bit more room while we finish the coop. A couple of roost poles would be easy enough to place, too. Might get that done tonight, if there's a break in the rain. I don't think I need to predator proof it a whole lot right now - haven't seen anything but hawks/eagles on our property. I know they will come once they find the chickens there, though. It is a fine line between something quick and temporary and protection right now. Don't want to spend too much time on the temporary that I could spend on the coop. And the temperatures will just get hotter the more we put it off. Maybe we should go ahead and put up the electric fencing - something we could do in bursts of evening time.

On a positive note, one of the littles from my Easter bunch found her way in with the big girls this morning and wasn't having any problems with them. I've got them side by side separated by the fencing. I figure I can put them all in the same pen if I just give the littles a place to hide from the bigs.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, don't forget about coons and possums, and some barriers for weather will keep the blowing rain out and off the ground. If ya have some scrap wood then just make a "Chicken Tractor" styled structure. If kept fairly close to the house it will deter most predators, but not all.