Silkie hatch... help identify colors

AngieNPeeps

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
IMG_1568.JPG
IMG_1570.JPG
IMG_1575.JPG
Hatched these silkies 2 days ago. Can anyone help me to identify the colors?

The one with the heavy chipmunk has a large ball on his head (can't remember what it's called). The black chick has white /silver eyebrows. The lighter striped has a thick black neck ring. The second pic, I assume is a lightly marked paint as there are only a few scattered black dots.

Well if I can figure out how to attach them, smh.

Last edited:

Dozclan12

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thinking you have two partridge ones ... chipmunk colors. The Ball on the head is called a high vault. Will be really poofy.
The black one, hmm..could be that the yellow will go away. I have a smooth SG out there that had these funny little yellow eyebrows when young, now she is pure black.
I was thinking paint on the white with bits of black. Can get a heavier black in it after molting a couple of times.
The last one looks like a light buff.
Very cute babies!

AngieNPeeps

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Thank you! That definitely rings a bell! Vault lol. I remembered prone to injury.

I was thinking the dark chipmunk was partridge, is that your thought on the light with the thick black neck ring?
Lost an SG stripper that looked perfect while I was away. It pipped and partially zipped. That one looked partridge like the first.

On the last, it has a hue of grey on both sides of the midline. I was wondering if this could be porcelain? I hatched buff a couple years ago and it was completely one color. However, I know it's a different breeder. I've seen porcelain in other birds, but not these.

Thanks again! It's so easy to ask questions on BYC with established forums/threads. One day soon...

Dozclan12

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I'm thinking you have a dark and a light partridge.

And Ooooo...I didn't see the grey on that last on in the photo..could very well be a porcelain.

Dozclan12

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I'm guessing this is how your light partridge will start looking in a short while.
2.27.2009%20023.jpg

AngieNPeeps

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I'm thinking you have a dark and a light partridge.

And Ooooo...I didn't see the grey on that last on in the photo..could very well be a porcelain.

Cooolll! I know the parents throw it!

2MorrosDream

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Got these babies last week. Each one is different in markings. They're supposed to be Swedish Flower Hens. What do y'all think?

Attachments

• 20170514_192216.jpg
    20170514_192216.jpg
    262.9 KB · Views: 335
  • 20170514_192210.jpg
    20170514_192210.jpg
    233.7 KB · Views: 413

AngieNPeeps

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Got these babies last week. Each one is different in markings. They're supposed to be Swedish Flower Hens. What do y'all think?

I hatched Swedish Flower 2 years ago. All I can say is they look nothing like mine. Feel free to chime in -- my thoughts : white face/black body looks similar to my astralorpe chicks, chipmunk stripe could be a few... welsummer, red-head brown chick, looks like a gold-laced something (seabright if turns out bantam) ... just thoughts, someone else can do this better.

2MorrosDream

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I hatched Swedish Flower 2 years ago. All I can say is they look nothing like mine. Feel free to chime in -- my thoughts : white face/black body looks similar to my astralorpe chicks, chipmunk stripe could be a few... welsummer, red-head brown chick, looks like a gold-laced something (seabright if turns out bantam) ... just thoughts, someone else can do this better.
Thanks for your input. I hope they are SFH b/c I sure payed a lot for them...lol