silly question about whethers

rellikmalinois

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Silly Question but...
I was under the impression when a buck is whethered his testicles are removed?

I am pet sitting and was told he had a doe, buck, and whether but both boys clearly have large testicles!

AshleyFishy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
How old are they? Might he still have a band on and the jewels just haven't come off yet? Or they could have used a burdizzo, which it will leave the scrotum and the testicles will degrade over time? Hard to tell without pictures :D

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
If his testicles are still large and in charge, and there is no band around them, I'd be asking if he used some other method recently.

boykin2010

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
It can be done surgically in which you really won't tell the difference between a ram and whether

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
When a goat is surgically wethered, the testicles are removed and the scrotum dries up...definitely would not look the same as an intact male.

rellikmalinois

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
thanks for the responses.
I had no idea what a burdizzo was but after reading about it am thinking maybe he had that method of casteration done as his testicles are much smaller than the other. I will get photos of both of them tonight. I believe they are both about a year old.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
We did one with a burdizzo when he was 5 months old and his testicles were good size for a while. The thing is as he got bigger they did not proportionally.

Chris Stelzer

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
AshleyFishy said:
How old are they? Might he still have a band on and the jewels just haven't come off yet? Or they could have used a burdizzo, which it will leave the scrotum and the testicles will degrade over time? Hard to tell without pictures :D
HAHA the Jewels!