Silly rabbit... update! babies didnt make it.

embkm

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I am so upset with myself today. They didnt make it through the cold last night. When the forecast change to no snow, I thought all the winterization that we did to the cages would keep them warm enough. But it didnt :hit

I'm going to give Brownie a nice long rest before I decide to breed her again... if I breed her again. And I will be set up to bring the babies inside. Poor babies and Brownie. Do I need to worry about Brownie and her milk production? Can she get sick because she isnt nursing right now?

RabbitMage

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Sorry about the babies. :-(

If you increased her feed after she had the babies, decrease it to her pre-pregnancy amount and she should be okay. You might be tempted to 'milk' her, but this will cause her to continue producing milk rather than dry her up. Keep an eye out for general signs of illness and check her teats once or twice a day. They will feel fairly warm, especially if she pulls a lot of hair and there's bare skin, but if they feel hotter than normal, or appear darker than usual, these could be signs of mastitis.

embkm

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thanks RabbitMage. I will keep a close eye on her.

Latest posts