silly sheep - apparently 2 is not a flock but 2+me *is*

patandchickens

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I've been trying to get these two barn-raised January-born lambs onto grass. I don't want to just chuck them out there, I want to do it gradually, but they have not been cooperating.

All they want to do is sit in their pen and eat hay and grain. I shoo them out, leave, and when I turn around there they are back in the pen.

Finally I think I figured it out. a) they don't want to be *shooed* out onto grass, they want to be LED out there, by Third Flock Member me, and I am expected to sit there awhile with them and chat with them whilst they get settled; and b) I finally broke down and sprinkled some grain over the grass, which they were utterly ignoring, and in prospecting for their beloved grain they discovered that the funny green stuff actually tastes pretty good after all, hmmm...

So after several days I *finally* have two lambies out in the grassy area grazing semi-happily. I'll put them back in, in an hour or two, but I do want to leave them out long enough that I don't have to go through this whole routine again tomorrow.

Silly sheep :p

Pat, with 3 shetlands (a 2 yr old ewe, her young wethered lamb, and a yearling ram lamb) coming on May 1, woo hoo! And hopefully THEY can teach these sheep how to be sheep.

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
Yes, you don't push sheep like you do cattle! They prefer to follow. :)

Iceblink

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Yes, you don't push sheep like you do cattle! They prefer to follow.
Yes, until they figure out where the best grass is, then they want to be ahead to beat you to it. :D