Silver Fox kits born last night! Need to fatten momma back up!

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
No. You won’t need to
Took some individual pictures today. Does that second one look thin or am I being paranoid? If they are, would it be safe to supplement them with formula, or will that throw momma off? I need to go get a new scale... I have one, but it is packed up somewhere, lost in our move.
supplement unless one gets ill, and you’ll know it. Let her do it. That’s what nature intended. She’s fully capable. She may look thin but her mamorry glands are good. The more they nurse. The more she’ll eat. Etc.

For the Love of Dirt

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
All nine still going strong. I removed the nest box a couple days ago because they were no longer using it, and the little turds are wasting a ton of food. They dig it out of the feeder in order to find the perfect piece, and all the rest falls into the poop catcher! they even managed to upturn the feeder and starved themselves for a few hours because they dumped a FULL feeder out! I have tied it to the side of the cage better, but the little fluff balls still dig it out... Will try to remember to post some update pictures.

Last edited:

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
It is officially 9. Used a hot pad and a mobile battery my mom had to keep them warm while out of the nest. No still borns and no dead! The two adults are mom and dad the day we bred them!
Adorable!! Try not to keep them out of the nest box for long, or away from mom long...she’ll leave them alone..so that predato don’t come near...but she’ll pounce at danger signs. But keeping them in the hay nest and hair nest she made is really the best thing for them.
Took some individual pictures today. Does that second one look thin or am I being paranoid? If they are, would it be safe to supplement them with formula, or will that throw momma off? I need to go get a new scale... I have one, but it is packed up somewhere, lost in our move.
you only need to use kitten formula if the kit still seems to be gett smaller...otherwise, some have growth spurts. Watch them, but try not to obsess. Is that baby rolling over, active enough? When they are lethargic, etc..bottle syringe.

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Congratulations on your first litter!
I always give mama pumpkin seeds after birth, they help fight worms and fattening up. I’m always careful with oats because the kits can choke to death on them.
Most rabbits are fine with big litters, but if one is consistently thin and nuzzles or chirps a lot, or just isn’t getting heavier... supplement. I use powdered goat milk and probiotics and have been extremely successful. NEVER give cows milk they can’t digest it. You can wait til after mama feeds and then offer a little more, but by the time they’re furred everything is pretty much settled and working well. Good luck to ya.
Yeah..don’t let kits anywhere near food...I’ve heard that a tiny bit of ostmeal..I guess uncooked..sprinkles on food can add weight. Perhaps add a little sugar to the water. Most of my does bounce back really fast. Once their milk comes in..they eat and eat..and they feel great!

For the Love of Dirt

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
At this point they are over 4 weeks old. I weighed and sexed them yesterday. 5 does and 4 bucks, and they are all a pound or more, the largest being 1 lb 4oz. However I am now having a problem with keeping food in their feeder. The babies dig all of it out, and the feeder is constantly empty. They have more food in the poo bins than poo!

Attachments

• ADFED787-602F-4540-8873-38933448BC34.jpeg
    ADFED787-602F-4540-8873-38933448BC34.jpeg
    315.3 KB · Views: 149
  • 73895EBC-CBF4-4EBA-9401-35BA39268E5E.jpeg
    73895EBC-CBF4-4EBA-9401-35BA39268E5E.jpeg
    411.1 KB · Views: 150

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
At this point they are over 4 weeks old. I weighed and sexed them yesterday. 5 does and 4 bucks, and they are all a pound or more, the largest being 1 lb 4oz. However I am now having a problem with keeping food in their feeder. The babies dig all of it out, and the feeder is constantly empty. They have more food in the poo bins than poo!
I usually put some kind of container under it...a lid for ice cream...some long plastic food thing..it catches the waste..and the fine ground stuff. If you have other animals..they love that..or, heaven forbid..if you need to syringe feed, you don’t have to grind pelets. But, that’s how I try to at least catch the pellets. They are beautiful!! :)