1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. All things Goats
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Single ram

Discussion in 'Behaviors & Handling Techniques - Sheep' started by mystang89, Aug 11, 2017.

1. Aug 11, 2017
    mystang89

mystang89 Loving the herd life

Great info! I guess I'll start looking up mating info for the sheep to see the best way of going about it.

2. Aug 11, 2017
    goatgurl

goatgurl True BYH Addict

the ram I leased was just 5 mo. old and was able to do his job well. your ewes will continue to cycle until he is old enough do breed them or spring gets here. is there a reason you don't want to leave him with the ewes for a few months and then separate him and one of this wether sons? what kind of sheep did you get. if you said in a post I missed it. I hope you enjoy them as much as I do mine.

mystang89 likes this.
  3. Aug 12, 2017
    mystang89

mystang89 Loving the herd life

I absolutely love my sheep! I don't know if it's because they are still new to me or what but they are fun to be with.

The one and only reason I don't want him with the girls right now is because I want to be able to.... see? if he mates them... Maybe see isn't the right word, thought I do want to actually see it too. I want to be able say, "yes, Bruce mated Clara Bell on this day and Betsy May on this day so I can know that I should be expecting lambing around this time." Kinda like I do with my rabbits.

As it stands right now I haven't noticed ANY behavior from Bruce that says he wants to mate them or has mated them. Just behavior saying he doesn't want to be away from them since he has been with them since he was one month old.

Btw, the are Awassi.

4. Aug 12, 2017
    Mike CHS

Mike CHS Herd Master

Awassi may be different but with our hair sheep you would have to be watching almost non stop to make sure you 'see' the deed get done since often if you turn away you might very well miss it. :)

5. Aug 12, 2017
    Baymule

Baymule Herd Master

I have never "seen" Ramburger do the deed, but there's lambs that look a lot like him running around.

luvmypets likes this.
  6. Aug 12, 2017
    Roving Jacobs

Roving Jacobs Seeing Spots

I've had upwards of 9 rams living together at one time with no major problems. You need the right rams and the right introductions though. Probably the easiest thing would be to keep the ram with the ewes until they lamb and then keep a wether son to keep him company on the "off season". If you want to know the day of breeding you'll need something like a marking harness or raddle powder.

Here's an interesting page on awassi sheep including age of breeding for various indigenous populations that might be useful for you. I'd ask the breeder of your sheep about those particular lines though and what their age of maturity is like.

mystang89 likes this.
  7. Aug 13, 2017 at 8:40 AM
    Baymule

Baymule Herd Master

Great find on that article @Roving Jacobs !!

@mystang89 I don't have goats, but from reading here, does in heat are very vocal, annoyingly so and make a lot of noise. It is easy to know when they are ready for breeding and take them to the buck. In sheep, they are quiet, it is difficult to know when they are ready, so taking them to the ram to watch the breeding is just not done.

And please post pictures of your sheep! LOTS of pictures! We would love to see them!

8. Aug 13, 2017 at 12:36 PM
    Bossroo

Bossroo True BYH Addict

To know exactly when a ewe is bred, is to first seperate the ram ( use a weather as a companion ) from the ewes,into his own pen. Then halter break the ram asap. Then, when the breeding season arrives, lead the ram to the ewe corral, throw the end of the halter rope over his neck and loosly tie it . Then after the ram checks each ewe for heat and if there are none, catch the ram and lead him to his own pen. This could take a few minutes to a half hour. If there is a ewe(s) in heat, he will breed it / them immediately. After a couple breedings remove the ram to his own pen. Since ewes are in heat for 2 days ( some 3 days) make sure that the ram breeds her the next day too. Record the date(s) . Ewes have a normal cycle every 17 days, so you will want to continue to turn your ram in with the ewes daily for about 20 days after all the ewes are bred to make sure that they are all pregnant. Send out birth announcements.

mystang89 and Baymule like this.
  9. Aug 13, 2017 at 1:05 PM
    luvmypets

luvmypets Herd Master

I love his name :lol:

10. Aug 13, 2017 at 2:16 PM
    Baymule

Baymule Herd Master

:yuckyuck:yuckyuck:yuckyuck