Six weeks out of sync

Hopalong Causually

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
My year-old doe had her first litter six weeks ago. She pulled almost no hair at all and only did so once about two or three days after the kits were born. That was it. The kits are now over six weeks old and I pulled the nest box about four days ago. I left it in that long because we've had some exceptionally cold nights and one of the kits was a runt that I thought could benefit from close, clumping contact with the others. Out of the blue, the doe pulled a heap of hair since yesterday, more than she did just after the kits were kindled. It was all over the cage floor. She had NO contact with a buck and most certainly is not pregnant. So, what explanation could there be for such behavior? I'm getting close to moving the kits to grow-out cages and breeding her again.

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
Your doe just hit a hormonal peak. Rabbits don't do what most people think of as heat cycles, but they do have hormonal peaks and valleys. Though does may breed at off-peak times, if you know a doe is "peaking," she is most likely to breed easily at that time and wind up kindling a decent-sized litter. Some people who see a doe pulling fur when they know she's not bred will say she "wants to have babies" or "wants to be a mother;" it's not that simple, of course, since animals don't think like that, but her body thinks it is ready to go again. If you are wanting to breed her, I say, go for it, but don't wait too long, because she may be hard to get bred if you let her get into a "valley" before you try it.

But you want to see a frustrated rabbit breeder? Look for one who has had the senior doe they had hoped to get a leg on in an upcoming show pull her coat ragged during the night before it because she hit a hormonal peak . . . .:barnie

Last edited:

Hopalong Causually

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thanks, Bunnylady. That all sounds very logical. I wasn't in a big hurry, thought I'd give her a break for awhile. But if she's saying she's ready to go again, I'll give her a go. Her kits seemed to be developing a bit slowly but they appear to be about ready for their own digs now.

Marie28

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Bunny lady has great advice :] When breeding close together just watch her for signs of stress. From my research some will continue to breed and take care of the kits but will wear them selves down. Causing the doe to have smaller litters and a shorter breeding span (and life). If she seems healthy and her weight is good then I would breed her again.

Hopalong Causually

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I acted on your advice, folks, and bred her to my current lone buck. She was instantly receptive; four fall-offs in a short time. I also got the same results with another doe the day before. We'll see how this pans out come the last week in May.

Hopalong Causually

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
LocoYokel,
If you've been counting days, you are spot on. Yesterday was day 31 for the older doe and today is 31 for the younger one. As of a few minutes ago, both have splendid nest cavities in the nest box hay but have not kindled or even pulled any hair. I'm still in search of a buck from the older doe, but she really doesn't look like she gained any weight and only had one kit the last go-round. I'll keep you posted on results.
Your emoticons are spot on, too. EARLY morning first cup of coffee at the computer is standard procedure in these parts!

Hopalong Causually

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
:thumbsup My older doe kindled late yesterday afternoon. Her last litter consisted of a single kit; this time she had three. The younger doe kindled early this morning. Her first litter was scattered all over with one dropped on the cage wire. This time she had eight all in the nestbox. Last time, she pulled almost no hair; this time she pulled ample hair and had four of them covered over in the nest cavity. Three were in the front of the box but doing OK. One was in the front of the box that I assume was stillborn because it was dead and she hadn't cleaned it at all.

Generally, I am pleased with both of them. If the younger doe shows any hint of negligent care, I will foster over several of hers to the older doe, which is a great mother but seems predisposed to having small litters. With the younger doe's improved behavior over her first litter, I want to see if her feeding behavior keeps pace. Both does will get a well-deserved rest after these litters are weaned.