1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. BYH Featured Thread: I'm woolin' it!
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. 2017 BYC Calendar SUPER SALE!
    CLICK HERE!

Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
  5. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Six weeks out of sync

Discussion in 'Behavior and Handling Techniques - Rabbits' started by Hopalong Causually, Apr 21, 2017.

1. May 29, 2017
    Hopalong Causually

Hopalong Causually Overrun with beasties

Bonus good news:

In checking the kits yesterday, I discovered that there was an extra one in the younger doe's nest. This one was quite emaciated looking which left me wondering if the doe delivered it a day or more after the rest. I could have missed finding it in my previous searches of the nestbox but doubt that. There were eight instead of seven. At any rate, it did not look like it had been fed so I adopted it over to the older doe with her three kits. A check this morning showed that it had been fed and, in fact, that doe jumped in the box and fed them while I was there. The younger doe appears to be taking much better care of this litter than her first one. There is one runt, but most have bellies that are round and plump. The upshot is that I have eleven new rabbits rather than the ten I thought I had.

Hens and Roos and LocoYokel like this.
  2. May 29, 2017
    Bunnylady

Bunnylady True BYH Addict

For some does, motherhood seems to be kind of "learn as you go." Glad to hear things are going so well this time!:thumbsup

3. May 29, 2017
    LocoYokel

LocoYokel Loving the herd life

Doe Math... :lol:

4. Jun 17, 2017
    Hopalong Causually

Doe math, indeed! I think she held off on kindling that last one just to be ornery. In case anyone is interested, that late one did pretty well with its adopted doe and her litter even though they are much bigger than it is. It is only about half their size but just about as feisty and doing a good job of keeping up with them.

LocoYokel likes this.
  5. Jun 18, 2017
    LocoYokel

LocoYokel Loving the herd life

Thanks for the update. It's a wonderful thing that it is doing well, sounds like a 'super survivor bun' to me! Have you sexed them yet? Hoping you get that buck you want...:fl

6. Jun 18, 2017
    Hopalong Causually

"Thanks for the update. It's a wonderful thing that it is doing well, sounds like a 'super survivor bun' to me! Have you sexed them yet? Hoping you get that buck you want...:fl"

They're all just a day or two past three weeks old so not clearly one or the other to my inexperienced eyes. My best guess is that the adoptee is a buck and ALL three that I was hoping to get a buck from are does. That, in itself, should qualify him for "super survivor" status. :)