Size and Genes question?

Crazybirdlady2

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have a BEW lop doe, currently 4 months old and 4.5 pounds. Buck is NZW, currently 5 months old and 5.5 pounds. Only producing meat stock. When old enough...is the size difference too much? I know that the NZW will be 10#+-. And is there a lethal white gene such as in dogs and horses?

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
No lethal white gene in rabbits.
Adult weight within 2 pounds should be fine. I would definitely wait until the doe is fully mature, 8 to 10 months.

Crazybirdlady2

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
That's what I don't know is adult weight of lop...as I said she is 4.5# at 4 months. I've never had one before...just meat rabbits...she was a rescue.

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
depending on what type of lop she is the adult weight can vary.

Looking in the rabbit standard of perfection gives the information on the different ones.

American Fuzzy Lop- senior does-6 months of age or older not over 4 pounds
Holland Lop-senior doe-6 months of age or older not over 4 pounds
English Lop- senior doe-8 months of age or older weight 10.5 pounds or over
French Lop- senior doe-8 months of age or older weight 11.5 pounds or over
Mini Lop-senior doe-6 months of age or older weight 4.5 to 6.5 pounds

not sure about the neck problems.
Can you post a picture of your doe?

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
is there a lethal white gene such as in dogs and horses?

No, there isn't. There is a spotting gene that causes problems if a rabbit gets it from both parents, but it isn't automatically lethal

Buck is NZW, currently 5 months old and 5.5 pounds.

If your doe is a rescue, she probably isn't a purebred; likely one of those infamous "Mini Lops" that are simply a rabbit with ears that don't go up. The blue eyes are interesting, though; that's not a very common color. On a lop of uncertain ancestry, there's no real telling what size she will be as an adult, but I agree, if she is within a couple of pounds of the buck's weight you shouldn't have issues (at least, not more than normal!):he

I'm a bit curious about your buck. I know that New Zealands are a 6-class, so he wouldn't have to achieve full adult weight for another 3 months, but 5.5 lbs seems rather small for 5 months old on a meat rabbit?:idunno

Crazybirdlady2

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
0930171007a.jpg

Crazybirdlady2

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
This is Floppy...has the prettiest sky-blue eyes..not seen in photo, of course.

@Bunnylady , yes, I'm sure she is a mix....her dam colored like a Cali, but flop ears. Siblings had flop ears also, but they were colored (spotted b/w, black solid). Sire black, not sure about ears. My NZW buck came from Amish young man that we know that produces commercially. He is purebred, but age is guesstimate on his and our part. He could be only 4 months old. But he is virile and has fathered a litter.

Latest posts