Size of fenced area for 2-4 Nigerians?

makingshift

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
We are in the process of fencing a "run" for our two Nigerian doelings. The area where they will be living was formerly a dog run but we have torn down half of the fence (the floppy, terrible half) and are replacing it with no-climb horse fence (4' height). I'm trying to decide how large to make the run before we start fencing it. I have four scenarios, which are pretty much as follows:
16' x 32'
16' x 48'
approx 20 x 32'
approx 20' x 48'

In case you are wondering why we don't just go with the biggest size, there are various (boring) factors such as better gate locations, proximity to house, etc. I'm just wondering if 16' x 32' would really be enough space for 2 Nigerian does plus their babies. I don't know if we'll ever want to have more goats but I can't really imagine having more than 4 so I'd like to have enough space for 4.

Thanks!

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Maximum size. That way if you ever need to section a part of it off it will be easier. They need room to climb, run, jump and play- especially when they kid.

:lol: Can't imagine ever wanting more than 4.

Yep, that's what we all said... at one time! ;)

Azriel

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
2x's Always, always go with the maximum size

makingshift

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
:cool: Heehee. I figured bigger was probably better. I started with three hens in a tiny city backyard and now I live outside town with 18 chickens (I had 23 a few months ago). I hope I am not similarly crazed by goats.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
you are right... chickens are often the gateway... :)
we started with 10 added 12 more a few weeks later... somehow we have anywhere from 250-350 at any given time now. :hu
started with 2 goats a month later added another than another and so on. The one thing we have managed to stick with and NOT add to is our sheep. :D

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Sheep require 30 sq ft of lot space per head...goats I assume would be similar. When I've had sheep in confinement, they've been given anywhere from 56 to 384 sq ft per head. (I have had one ram in an 8x48 pen, two ewes + 1 wether + 2 lambs in a 16x48 pen, and 1-4 sheep & lambs in a 8x28 pen.) Any amount of space, they've all been happy. They all do the same thing, eat, sleep, poop, and eat some more. They look excited to see me every day. They are sad when I leave them, too. But they are like that even out in the field. They come running up to me and they baa at me as they watch me walk back to the house.

Latest posts