Skin Issue on LaMancha Doe

mandi224

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
We were showing at the fair last week and got back Saturday. I noticed this scaly, dry patch on one of my girls this morning. It's on her chest, between her front legs. I'm not seeing any hair loss or issues anywhere else on her body, or on any of my other 5 does.

Any ideas on what it might be and how to treat it? My first thought was mange mites, but I wasn't sure. Should I call the vet or is it something I can treat on my own?

IMG_7449.JPG

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Are you talking about her brisket? This is where they get somewhat calloused from laying down.
Just like on their knees.
You could put some balm on it if it is looking red or irritated.

mandi224

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
@Hens and Roos - Thank you!!

@Southern by choice - Yes, on her brisket. (Here I am always drilling the kids on their goat anatomy for 4-H, and I'm not practicing it myself, lol!) Her knees are definitely calloused, this just looked a little more flaky and "gross" in a way, so I was worried. (I always get worried when we come home form shows and fair too, I guess.) Maybe I'm just being an alarmist, then! Thank you for making me feel better. Will try some balm like you mentioned. Any specific kind? I have bag balm on hand.

Latest posts