Skin (?) peeling off lambs leg

CapriCoCo

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have a bottle lamb who was born with a bent spine; it self corrected but I noticed the skin on her leg was… flaking? Almost like a scab. Does anyone know what this is, how to treat it, or really just what I should do? She doesn’t seem bothered by it in the slightest.
F36D8227-F9B4-436A-9AE5-420EA000EF20.jpeg
78CD04A1-456C-4B56-A057-A6BDB0B4BB6D.jpeg
624C25A5-F61A-4FE3-BF2A-01A4C244694C.jpeg

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
Almost looks like pressure sores - did she spent a lot of time laying on that area? Doesn't look bad though. Glad to hear she's straightened out in the spine now!

CapriCoCo

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Sh
Almost looks like pressure sores - did she spent a lot of time laying on that area? Doesn't look bad though. Glad to hear she's straightened out in the spine now!
She spends half the day outside either in our sheep pen or our backyard, then the other half of the day she spends inside either roaming the house or in a dog crate with a dog bed during the night. It doesn’t really seem like she spends a whole lot of time laying down, but that might be what it is.

CapriCoCo

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I
Or... since the spine thing ... didn't you decide that was probably a selenium deficiency?

I would wonder if this is another deficiency?

Often if one mineral is off, everything else also goes off.
wonder if and deficiencies can even cause this though.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Lots of deficiencies can affect skin and hair.

I don't think causing open wounds is a mineral deficiency, but mineral deficiency can often cause hair loss and flaky skin, which in turn will make it more likely for wounds to occur... since there is no longer a protective layer of hair.

Here is a site with a list of symptoms for each mineral deficiency.

messybun

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I’ve never had sheep, so I’m not sure if this is right.
But, if this were mine, I would clean the area with iodine to help prevent infection and then I’d use a salve to protect and moisturize the skin.

Latest posts