Skittish Doe

bethh

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Our new doe, Dolly, is bred and due end of March/first of April. She won’t let me near her. What are your suggestions? Spend time with her and let her adjust or make her let me hold/touch her. She won’t take food from me or hay.

lalabugs

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
With her being pregnant I would not add any stress. Making her like you will not work. Spending time out with her so she can see that you are not a threat will be the way. It will be slow going. If you grain put grain out while you are sitting in the pen. When I had a skittish doe, I would do this. Every time I would feed her, I would move the bucket closer to me. This was slow going and took some time. Eventually I could pet her while she ate.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I agree, I would simply spend a lot of time around here just sitting and being calm. The move the grain closer every day idea is a good one.

She also may get friendly when she is closer to giving birth or does give birth. My goats get very friendly when they are in the last stages.

bethh

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I agree, I would simply spend a lot of time around here just sitting and being calm. The move the grain closer every day idea is a good one.

She also may get friendly when she is closer to giving birth or does give birth. My goats get very friendly when they are in the last stages.
I guess that's my biggest concern. If she is so skittish around me, how is she going to be while in labor? Will she allow me to be around and help if needed? Its like polar opposites with my original 2 girls. They are all over me.

bethh

True BYH Addict
Reaction score

I hope that she'll get friendlier when it gets closer.

bethh

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I haven't been on lately and wanted to update. I don't think Dolly was bred when we got her. She was very flirty Sunday so we put her with the buck that seemed the most interested. I'm hoping that it will take and that she will have kids in August. On another note, yesterday morning she actually ate out of a bowl that I was holding. This morning, she actually ate of out my hand. I'm hoping that this will be a turning point. I dread having to catch her and hold her down for bw, etc. I'm planning to do BW in a few weeks.

Latest posts