Skittish Doe

bethh

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Our new doe, Dolly, is bred and due end of March/first of April. She won’t let me near her. What are your suggestions? Spend time with her and let her adjust or make her let me hold/touch her. She won’t take food from me or hay.

lalabugs

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
With her being pregnant I would not add any stress. Making her like you will not work. Spending time out with her so she can see that you are not a threat will be the way. It will be slow going. If you grain put grain out while you are sitting in the pen. When I had a skittish doe, I would do this. Every time I would feed her, I would move the bucket closer to me. This was slow going and took some time. Eventually I could pet her while she ate.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I agree, I would simply spend a lot of time around here just sitting and being calm. The move the grain closer every day idea is a good one.

She also may get friendly when she is closer to giving birth or does give birth. My goats get very friendly when they are in the last stages.

bethh

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I agree, I would simply spend a lot of time around here just sitting and being calm. The move the grain closer every day idea is a good one.

She also may get friendly when she is closer to giving birth or does give birth. My goats get very friendly when they are in the last stages.
I guess that's my biggest concern. If she is so skittish around me, how is she going to be while in labor? Will she allow me to be around and help if needed? Its like polar opposites with my original 2 girls. They are all over me.

bethh

Loving the herd life
Reaction score

I hope that she'll get friendlier when it gets closer.