Slip up momma ...help??

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
Next I expect to hear about spontaneous sex change (like frogs) in my chickens so I wake to crowing and fertilized eggs!
You do know it's been known to happen, right - a hen turns into a rooster (though the bird isn't fertile when it does)? And sometimes perfectly fertile, otherwise normal hens crow?

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
well xerocles your hens could crow and about the egg fertilization well........ yeah that wouldnt happen lol

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
I had put an ad up to sell the babies, saying that they would be ready in two weeks. I liter just got a text, someone wants to come pick out a rabbit. Do I, obviously, I have to tell her what happened...do I let her take the bunny now, with instructions of what I’m doing? Or, do I keep the bunny for two weeks and then let her come back...but she probably won’t...I hate these twists and turns!

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
well i would say these have been taken off momma so yes you can pick one out however a holding deposit is required and if not then cant promise he or she will still be here. and if she wants to take said bunny home i would mention that she needs to take care to make sure it only gets what on this list of items to have until its x age so that it remains healthy and she doesnt lose it.

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
well i would say these have been taken off momma so yes you can pick one out however a holding deposit is required and if not then cant promise he or she will still be here. and if she wants to take said bunny home i would mention that she needs to take care to make sure it only gets what on this list of items to have until its x age so that it remains healthy and she doesnt lose it.
Excellent idea!!

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
on this one i actually have experience lol i had several call me after taking said bunny home to have on pass because of something fed and they wanted to me to replace said rabbit.

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
IMO, if that second litter is to survive, the first litter will need to be removed from the cage. Otherwise, she will nurse the more active, aggressive, older ones, and the second litter will probably starve. It's pretty unlikely that she would choose to visit them both, and equally unlikely that the older kits would stay out of the nest where the new kits are. If she does try to refuse the older kits, there's a good chance the new ones could get trampled.

We prefer not to separate at 4 weeks, but commercial breeders do it all the time. Buns this age should be eating and drinking a fair amount on their own; if you add some rolled oats and maybe a little calf manna to their pellets, they should be OK.

I've had emergency situations that resulted in litters as young as 3 weeks being on their own, and they survived. Not what I'd prefer, but sometimes, needs must.

And actually, it's not the sperm they store, it's the embryos - it's a little-known trick called "delayed implantation." The longest case on record was something like 6 months.

But let me ask this: are you sure you got the buck out before the older litter was born? Does come into use (are capable of getting pregnant again) immediately after a litter is born. If he was there when the kits were born, this is a straightforward case of rebreeding after kindling, not anything more exotic.
What do you mean by calf manna? I have kitten replacer...will that work? I am an hour away from TS. It’s not an option