Small colony - does fighting after mating

rubysoho

Just born
Reaction score
I have a small colony of 6 females, some related, been together 10 months. Yesterday introduced the buck and looked like breeding was successful with the grey doe. Today decided to take my white doe and put her in with the buck privately. Breeding looked successful. As soon as we put her back in the colony, the grey one took one sniff and attacked her. Repeatedly. And yesterday just after breeding, before removing the buck, the grey was almost acting jealous, would attack if the buck approached another female. Trying to figure out why, and what we can do before separating them permanently. Thanks for any advice!

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have two banded does, been together ever. I bred the one first. Two days later I bred the other. Well, Buttercup wanted nooo part of Blossom!
Them have a sleepin den..Buttercup shut her out for days! Blossom sulked and was soo sad. I left them together. They never fought...just we’re mad. They made up but are separated now due to kindling. I’m not sure if I’ll be able to put them back together aflyer? I bought two sisters. They rode apart for the car ride home. Had them in two spaces in one hutch. The one jumped the ledge...man, the fight was on! They are lionhead.....fur was flying! Lucky I was there doing my chores...that’s why the lid was open. So, needless to say...some does can stay bonded...some, after something happens, like breeding, etc..they fight. I’ve heard you can let them together until the6 work it out..in my book, not worth it. I’ve hav3 a bunch of bonded kits, from two litters...they are easy..no hormones....

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
She may smell like the buck and many does hate bucks if they're not in the right cycle for breeding. Or if the buck harrassed her. Yes, they have a cycle! Its just not quite like the others, it's a cycle of most to least likely to be receptive.
Also, just like people, later in pregnancy, hormones will hit & everyone may freak out on each other...witches b craycray!

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
To be safe I would separate them. If this is a "colony" situation why are you keeping the buck separate? Removing the does to breed them and returning them to the colony with the buck's scent will cause them to defend their space. That is why you always take the doe to the buck's cage to breed her, if you take the buck to the doe's cage she will attack and try to kill him. Does are very territorial while bucks "flit from flower to flower". LOL