Small Farm "DO I NEED Scrapie Tags?" (New Member)

WeizenfelderGal

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hi, I am new here and fairly new to Goats and Sheep too!

I just added two of my 1st Sheep. The lady handed me these two metal things. Said they were Scrapie tags? What even is that! Do I need them If I don't plan to eat my sheep? I now have 9 goats and 2 Sheep. Most are just pets, do I need to have this done to the ears?

Thanks for any advice guys!
thumbnail (2).jpg

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
In most cases if your sheep aren't going to leave the farm they don't need tags. You aren't going to butcher but sheep can go from a farm to the butcher without tags. The tags are used to track a sheep that is sold off of the farm so you should be good.

Welcome to the world of sheep by the way. :)

Edit: Also just so you know, the law says she was supposed to tag those lambs before you took them off the farm.

Also, just noticed that was your first post so welcome to an awesome forum and super good bunch of folks.

WeizenfelderGal

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thank you! That makes me feel better. Number ONE. I have no idea on how to put them into the ear!
Also, that is just so new to me. I just got them last night :)

They are super fun, I am enjoying them A Lot!

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
You aren't going to butcher but sheep can go from a farm to the butcher without tags.
they will assign you a tag it is the law

like mike said the breeder by law is suppose to tag them... it is from their farm, not yours.
If you breed sheep and they lamb you need to order scrapie tags
There is a tool that you use, it is like piercing an ear
Sounds like you have the newer style tags they are using now so not sure what tool is used
Regardless, it is a very good identification tool.
Welcome! :frow