something about farm management

Bayleaf Meadows

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for the various comments, the discussions were interesting but didn't end up going in the direction I was trying to explore. I looked for a way to delete the whole thread, but didn't see that option.

Last edited:

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Not sure of the ultimate goal here, but in reading over the sheet and catagories, I see "Insect Control", does this include weevils in the grains and preventative measures of that sort....or, fire ants, wasps, or others that could be harmful to livestock and animals?
Also, what about predator pressure? In different locales this list can vary greatly, and even from year to year in the same locale.
Is this meant as more of a self-evaluation every so often to remind the farmer the routine of things to keep a check on periodically, or something to aid in one's awareness of important factors to not neglect?
Another catagory could easily be deaths of animals....explained or reasoned, and unexplained.
Most that begin a small farm, having come from "City Life" are totally unaware of the many factors to consider in keeping animals and just want some of these, and those, and those look interesting too. Though, they are unaware of the dangers they may bring to their "Doorstep" by doing such, irregardless of how clean the pen is, or if it is tidy and neat...a coyote, fox, bobcat, weasel, bear, hawk, or owl will most certainly dine on an easy meal.
These reasons are why, to me anyway, your "Goal" is unclear. Nothing said is presented with any unkind or condemning tones and is not meant in such a way, I'm just giving ya an honest response.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
to me anyway, your "Goal" is unclear
Same here.

Checkoffs require a standard (example=definition of 'enough')and there's no one standard that fits all (or even most) even within a single geographical location, year over year, species or breed, not that certain 'entities' haven't ever attempted to set one.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I evaluate my small farm and the animals on it daily. I check the things listed, plus more. I have a step counter on my cell phone and I walk on average, 5 miles a day on 8 acres, doing what I do.

Bossroo

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Not sure of the ultimate goal here, but in reading over the sheet and catagories, I see "Insect Control", does this include weevils in the grains and preventative measures of that sort....or, fire ants, wasps, or others that could be harmful to livestock and animals?
Also, what about predator pressure? In different locales this list can vary greatly, and even from year to year in the same locale.
Is this meant as more of a self-evaluation every so often to remind the farmer the routine of things to keep a check on periodically, or something to aid in one's awareness of important factors to not neglect?
Another catagory could easily be deaths of animals....explained or reasoned, and unexplained.
Most that begin a small farm, having come from "City Life" are totally unaware of the many factors to consider in keeping animals and just want some of these, and those, and those look interesting too. Though, they are unaware of the dangers they may bring to their "Doorstep" by doing such, irregardless of how clean the pen is, or if it is tidy and neat...a coyote, fox, bobcat, weasel, bear, hawk, or owl will most certainly dine on an easy meal.
These reasons are why, to me anyway, your "Goal" is unclear. Nothing said is presented with any unkind or condemning tones and is not meant in such a way, I'm just giving ya an honest response.

Same here.

Checkoffs require a standard (example=definition of 'enough')and there's no one standard that fits all (or even most) even within a single geographical location, year over year, species or breed, not that certain 'entities' haven't ever attempted to set one.

I evaluate my small farm and the animals on it daily. I check the things listed, plus more.
:thumbsup

A measure of any venture is the bottom line ( and this applies to those in the venture for profit or hobby farm). $$$ initial input costs + $$$ operating costs -- selling price $$$ ( or your own consumption price compared to purchase of item = PROFIT or LOSS

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Same here.

Agree!

I consult on many farms throughout NC. We also manage several. There is no template that works.
It is uniquely individual. Breed type and purpose are also factors.
Far too many variables and there is no "perfect" environment or a "one way" design.

You can have a farm where it is so spotless, plenty of grazing areas, immaculately kept yet chronic respiratory is an ongoing issue.
Another farm may have massive land yet the animals never leave the hay feeder or barn.
Another, parasite issues may require complete dry lot areas and no grazing.

Because goats are not grazers anyway, land type is more important than size.

My Kikos live and eat very differently from my dairy goats and our dairy does are very different from our dairy bucks.
Amongst the does there are some ( more fru fru goats) that thrive on hay and feed and rarely graze. Other does (non fru fru goats) that prefer trees, vines, leave, "junk weed" and will turn up their nose at feed and even the best hay.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ahhhhh, I see.

LOL for my farm it is well organized but I would still make major improvements if possible. I am limited by the existing buildings already here and have to work within that so it really can be hard. I cant move a warehouse or two other 20x20 concrete buildings or the streams! :lol:
Truly, until we move we are kind of limited. :(
I wish I could convert one of the buildings to a milkroom. But then I lose my kidding stalls and baby house. Always something!

In your list above one thing we did was extend and add onto our barn... yet the goats don't cooperate. They will all just stay on the one side and the other group on the other side. Ugh.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Airflow would be a good thing perhaps to put on there.
Often barns are too tight and that can cause an abundance of issues. Fans may help but windows, shutters etc are better.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't really keep a list of things to do, I am just outside doing my "chores". I know what needs to be done and I do it. My husband and I have projects and we are getting them done, one by one. We bought this place and it didn't even have a fence up. We have built fence, built a chicken coop, sheep shelter, a 36'x36' barn, worked on improving a garden spot and fenced it, hung gates, repaired a tool shed, planted fruit trees, cleared pasture, we are raising our 2nd batch of feeder pigs and our ewes had our 2nd batch of lambs.