small land milk/meat production

JaxBirchmuck

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Question;
Small land - 1 1/2 acre parcel farm
2/3 acre with mixed shrubs and trees with good water supply to use for stock, fenced
I want to get milk and raise beef for home use (maybe sell/trade any excess beef).
I completely understand I will have to use hay and grain since I have limited pasture.
Has anyone done this?
Suggestions?
Advice?

Thank You in advance......

WildRoseBeef

Range nerd & bovine enthusiast
Reaction score
I haven't because I don't need to. If you want meat and milk, go with goats. They're smaller and take up less room and feed than even a miniature bovine would.

ohiofarmgirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
i was gonna say "why not try goats" also. we get a good deal of milk from ours - and they can eat that browse you already have.

good luck!
:)

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
Yep, me, too, especially since so much of the land is brush/trees. Maybe switch to raising a steer each year after the goats have cleared the brush. A pig would work well, too, in the wooded area and would clear it....maybe a couple of meat goats and one dairy goat this year, a couple of pigs next year, then the land can be planted for the steer. Meanwhile, raise a steer on the other part now.

Look into Joel Salatin's intensive rotational grazing methods to get the most out of your small plot. Also look for the video online of 12 Aprils Dairy and how they intensively rotate but also overseed crops for grazing with a no-till seeder to get more out of the land.

farmerlor

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I agree with everyone else. You've got the perfect set-up for goaties and poultry. This way you can also start small and get used to the feeding, milking, processing and MONEY OUTLAY before you smack a cow into the middle of your farm. 'Course I'm no one to give advice since I jumped in with both feet and went out and bought a whole herd of goats and a couple of cows to put on my eight acres in the desert.

JaxBirchmuck

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thank You.
I am not intrestedin eating goat, but maybe I will try the milking!
We have chickens, geese, turkeys and a few pygmys. Maybe I'll expand the goat herd and barter for beef.

Thank You for the input from everyone!!!

CESpeed

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I can't offer an expert opinion because I'm still pretty new to this myself, but if you want a small beef/milk cow, from my research Dexters might be worth looking into. They stay small (for a cow) and they are very gentle and adapt to different locations.

Here's a link about them: http://www.thecattlesite.com/breeds/beef/13/dexter

Just a suggestion.

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
JaxBirchmuck said:
Thank You.
I am not intrestedin eating goat, but maybe I will try the milking!
We have chickens, geese, turkeys and a few pygmys. Maybe I'll expand the goat herd and barter for beef.

Thank You for the input from everyone!!!
I love goat, I think it is better than beef but to each his own. I do not know where you live but if there is a graded goat auction near you you may make enough from selling the goats for meat to pay for beef. What I get for my goats is more per pound than I pay for the side of beef I buy every other year.

I get $1.75-$2.50 per lb for goats (on the hoof).
They dress out at 40%-50% so about $3.50- $5.00 per lb of bone in meat. More than that since that includes things like the head and legs. Plus I would incur the cost or time of butchering.
I buy grass fed beef shares at $3.95 per lb, including the processing costs.

I sugest get some nubian does, they are great for milk and have a larger frame than most dairy goats. Breed them to a Boer buck. The kids will be nice and meaty and will sell well at the meat auction.

kstaven

Purple Cow/Moderator
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Goat sells for far more per pound live weight than beef does at the auctions here.